crowne20
Newly Registered

Avocado tree in need of help!!!

Hello,

This is my first post and I am hoping to get some help. After many attempts and I finally was able to grow an avocado tree from an avocado I bought at the market.

It is about a foot tall and has two shoots with 8 or so leaves at this point. It is getting cold where I live so I brought it inside. My cat decided that it likes avocado trees and chewed it a bit right below the split. It didn't chew it off, just weakened it enough to where it hangs there. I propped it up and it is holding on as best it can. This happened last night and this morning the leaves are wilted, but I believe it can be saved.

I need to know how to save it. Is there something I can do to mend where it is broken? Should I cut it and hope it starts to grow again?

Please help!!

Thank you,

Jay

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hi Jay,

Welcome to the Helpful Gardener. You will need to cut just below where the cat chewed. Use a sharp scissors if you don't have pruners. You might even want to consider cutting it just below the 'Y' where the two stems split so you will have the new growth more balanced. Here's a helpful site.
https://www.avocado.org/about/growing_avocado.php

Newt

crowne20
Newly Registered

Thanks so much for your advice and for the link to that site. I worked very hard to finally get one of those seeds to grow, I hope it survives the cat attack!

Thanks again.

Newt
Greener Thumb

You are very welcome! I hope it survives too.

Newt

crowne20
Newly Registered

Just wanted to say thanks again for the advice. The tree has rebounded quite nicely!!

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

crowne20,

Glad to hear that things worked out for you .

Norm

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”