applestar
Mod

My potted avocado is going to bloom! ...now what?

As I've posted often before, I love growing avocados from seeds and have quite a few little and not so little treelets, none of which have yet to fruit, let alone bloom -- but I wasn't really expecting much from them except the fun of watching them grow. But I finally bought myself a dwarf container avocado for Christmas -- a cultivar called "Day" -- with intent to try my hand at grafting.

The little blurb that came with it said it will fruit in 2-3 years, and it's currently growing in a 6" pot.

To my surprise, it has started to bud -- rather enthusiastically...

...now what?

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

aside from continued photographic documentation? got me.

imafan26
Mod

Looks like it was from a cutting, not a seedling.

Enjoy the bloom. It takes two different avocado trees to get fruit. Avocado cannot self pollinate. :roll:

applestar
Mod

Thanks for your replies. Maybe this isn't an ordinary cultivar. I do know about day/evening pollination schedules of male and female blossoms and type A and type B normally assigned to avocado cultivars... But....

This isn't where I got it, but description of the cultivar here says it's self-fertile
:arrow: https://ediblelandscaping.com/products/t ... vocado.php

I found Logee's online guide. It says young plants may bloom but won't "hold fruit" -- won't set fruit? Drops green fruit? -- until they are larger.
:arrow: https://www.logees.com/ftg/Persea.pdf

...first blossom to open :D ...18" above soil level :flower:

imafan26
Mod

Good to know. There are many different cultivars available and it is good to know there are self fertile ones.

applestar
Mod

:shock:

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

There was an avocado tree in our back "yard" in Berkeley. The flowers, most years, were good for a nice coating of pollen on the patio and the tomato plants. The few years that fruit did set, the squirrels got most of the immature fruit and dropped them on the patio, chew marks intact. (I have a long history with the Fluffy-Tailed Rats, as you see; it's not all at this house since 2008.)

I love the photo of the baby avocado! :D

Enjoy!

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

applestar
Mod

...unfortunately, but not entirely unexpectedly, that little baby avocado dropped off. :(

This year, all of the terminal shoots on the three main branches that grew this season developed flowerbuds just as the weather was turning cold and the tree had to come inside. Now, some of them on the branch closest to the window are starting to bloom :o

...now what? -- FWIW I've started paint brushing the blossoms. I read that this should be done in the morning and in the evening....
Attachments
image.jpg

applestar
Mod

BTW I did try grafting -- just one -- during the autumn growth spurt -- don't know if it "took" .

I looked at it today and decided to snap the upper portion of the stock seedling tree -- I had kinked and bent it down, but the terminal buds started to grow -- I want the energy to be diverted to the grafted scion instead if it is still alive. Normally, the grafted portion is also covered with a loosely tied shut plastic grocery bag and the entire plant is misted every morning including inside the grocery bag. (LMK if I'm doing this right :|)
Attachments
image.jpg

imafan26
Mod

Flowers typically bloom for one day. If these are "self fertile" avocados you still need to get the pollen from the male flowers to the female flowers at the right time. Each flower will not fertilize itself. According to what I have read the self fertile avocados have both A and B type flowers but there is no guarantee that they will both be open at the same time.

Avocado trees typically bloom twice a day. In the mornig the type A female flowers will open in the morning and the males in the afternoon. The type B is the opposite.

Most people here have only one tree, but pollination is not a problem since so many people have trees in a neighborhood that chances are excellent for pollination.

Even with good pollination, avocados will still drop fruit in the wind and with a heavy load that is normal. It takes about 8 or 9 months or longer for some varieties for the fruit to grow to be harvested. Avocados do not ripen on the tree, but the fruit needs to be picked at the right time or they will not ripen at all. After the mature fruit is picked usually the stem is left on. Leave the avocado on the counter and 3-10 days later feel the fruit to see if it is softening. Usually the stem falling off is a sign of ripeness, but I have been fooled, some of the avocados hung on to the stem and were overripe.

Most trees here bloom Feb-April and harvesting starts Sometime in September through December. Some trees bloom one year but will not be ready until the following year.

Most trees here will not bear fruit from a seedling until they are seven years old. Grafted trees will bloom sooner, about two years. Most avocado trees here are not in pots and they are hard to keep short since they like to send out long shoots so I don't really know or have seen too many short trees in bloom except the ones that have been deliberately topped to keep the height down and they are usually older trees. Avocado trees easily get to be 50 ft here but people top work them to keep them about 20 ft.

applestar
Mod

Thanks imafan :D I believe this self fertile cultivar called "Day" is (the same as)/(also called) "Holiday".

This morning when I was misting the plants, I noticed that this flower in the truss that bloomed a week or so ago at the end of another branch reaching for the supplemental CFL bulb appears to have set fruit. I did use a cotton swab on the flowers (though at the time I didn't really see any pollen on the swab). :mrgreen:
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (31.99 KiB) Viewed 5260 times

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

Hopefully it will develop! Actually quite a few varieties are self fertile. The reason for a pollinator is to get better fruit set and so that the blooms overlap better. But in a home setting do you really want a ton of avocados? With 2 trees you would get a TON of fruit (if they are grown outside of course).

imafan26
Mod

Many people here have one tree. It is like having a larder. The fruits take a long time to develop. Avocados do not ripen on the tree but once they are ready a few at a time can be picked and left on the counter to ripen over 3-10 days. That way the tree can be harvested over a longer time.

Most fruit trees that have heavy sets like mango, lychee, citrus, and avocados will lose fruit. Usually you will hear them hitting the roof or landing in the yard. Most people don't have a big enough yard to grow many fruits and some places are better suited than others for certain fruit. So, anyone with mangoes in Waipahu can probably trade for lychee from Wahiawa. It also helps to have friends and relatives with trees, that way even if you don't have a tree you may still be able to get in season fruit. So, a ton of fruit can go a long way.
Some people actually sell their harvest from the tree.

Right now I have a couple of papaya from my tree and an avocado (it fell on the ground) from a friend sitting in my kitchen. If I need limes, I raid my mom's tree. I can also get pommelo, mangoes, grapefruit, lychee, and figs when they are in season so I rarely buy any of them. I have lemons, calamondin, Satsuma mandarin, papaya, chayote, and chili peppers to give in return so it works out.

applestar
Mod

Meh -- lost that baby fruit :? (But that truss has some more flower buds that are getting ready to bloom.)

HOWEVER.... Coldest winter temps in three years and my avocado is bursting into bloom -- mostly on the end of the branch by the *cold* window:
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Some more on the third branch reaching into the room towards the supplemental light
image.jpg
It was 55°F in this room this morning -- The flowers didn't open first thing in the morning as they have been. I touched them all with a cotton swab after they opened fully in the mid-afternoon -- usually, when most of them have closed by then.

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

That is exciting!! I just have some tomatoes fruiting inside. My little sweet n neat guys. I'd love to see if you could get it to fruit !!

Cola82
Green Thumb

This is a cool thread. Few things are as exciting as watching baby fruit appear on a stem (and few as crushing as watching it yellow and drop off, boo!).

applestar
Mod

Hello! I missed your comment when you posted. Yes. You are absolutely right.
I'm concerned that this avocado is blooming when it's too cold even in the house and not setting fruit. My only option may be to lug it upstairs for the winter where it is "balmier" but I am not sure if I can do that.....

Some more floral trusses that didn't mature back then bloomed... And went. I was discouraged and was not as dedicated about playing bumblebee. But there are a couple of teeny tiny ...dare I say it.... (Knock on wood)

--- wow I just took a photo to add to this post, and, looking at the close up, noticed there are FOUR :()
Avocado baby fruits (?)
Avocado baby fruits (?)
. Ignore the yellowed leaves in the foreground -- that's just the Maid of Orleans jasmine sulking that it's too cold and too dry.

The floral trusses that passed are all sending out new shoots -- not entirely desirable because I cannot give this plant good bright situation. I had to clip off a branch shoot that was hanging over the sofa and slapping people in the head -- so. I trimmed it of all leaves, wrapped with parafilm and moist paper towel and put it in the door of the fridge to keep, then yesterday, I played surgeon and tried grafting it to one of the seed grown avocado.

Last one I tried earlier in the winter didn't take, I think -- buds are starting to grow BELOW the graft -- and I was too tense to think about taking pictures, so this is all you get to see for now LOL. I will of course post a reveal (with great excitement I'm sure) if it starts to grow.
Grafted avocado in ICU
Grafted avocado in ICU

applestar
Mod

Up! :-() ...and down.... :cry:
image.jpg
image.jpg

:bouncey:
image.jpg

applestar
Mod

This is proving to be tricky. :?

...but you know what? Considering I've been growing avocados from seeds for years without real expectation of them fruiting, all these blooms and near-misses are excitement enough. :() I'll figure it out eventually. :mrgreen:

In the mean time, since last year, my oldest two seed grown avocados have started to grow numerous twiggy side branches on each of their shoots instead of just growing upwards and branching when pruned. Their growth pattern is similar to the fruiting age "Day" avocado, so I'm hoping to see some hints of blooming sometime soon. 8)

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

Good luck friend ! I have similar types of plants like olives. I don't expect them to grow but hope lol.

applestar
Mod

'Day' and my biggest seed grown avocado are still in the house. :oops: but here are the next biggest in a 4 gallon pickle bucket, and the bigger mango:
Big Mango and #2 Avocado
Big Mango and #2 Avocado
#2 Avocado in a 4 gal pickle bucket
#2 Avocado in a 4 gal pickle bucket
Rest of the avocados (except 2 still in the house) and Little Mango and coffee:
Coffee and Avocados plus Little Mango
Coffee and Avocados plus Little Mango

applestar
Mod

I finally got my oldest/biggest avocado out of the house. It grew a lot since last fall and looks ridiculous in that relatively tiny tub. :roll:
#1 Avocado
#1 Avocado
I still have to uppot it, but I did prune it a bit and am training it to adjust the direction of the branches. I took some of the cut off branches and practiced grafting them onto younger seed grown avocados. I'll post if they are successful and start growing. :wink:

applestar
Mod

The Day avocado was finally evicted so I can turn off the lights supplying it with supplemental light. So late and should have been out already for at least two weeks, might have been OK for the last four weeks, but
(1) the branches grew very lanky and I was afraid they would snap without support. I had decided on "Maypole" style support but had trouble figuring out exactly how.
(2) terra cotta pot and soil mud used for this plant containing pumice gravel smokes it extremely heavy and I couldn't manage it on my own.
Avocado #1 and "Day"
Avocado #1 and "Day"

applestar
Mod

Some update photos. Never got them repotted/uppotted an "faked it" with some organic fruit tree fertilizer, but I finally restocked with more potting mix, so I'll be tackling them in the next couple of days....

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

those look really cool!

applestar
Mod

One of the long branches of the Day avocado bent too far and partially broke during a wind storm about a months ago. A few days ago, I decided to do something about it and was initially going to just cut it off below the break, but decided I had nothing to lose if I tried to air layer it, especially since it already has a callused partial break.
image.jpg
Has anyone tried something like this before?

Grafting is the preferred technique for propagating avocados, and I've been attempting to graft this and my other two oldest avocado to younger seed grown avocados, but have not had success yet. I suspect my timing and/or aftercare of grafted trees have not been entirely correct. I'm going to give it another try before it gets too cold....

imafan26
Mod

Most of the grafted trees we do, citrus, avocado, and mango are seasonal. We usually wait to collect scions just as the plants start to flush and is in active growth. Dormant grafts have a higher mortality. Even good grafters have a bout a 50% success rate unless they do it every day. I myself have a 100% failure rate. I still need to practice.

To practice grafting in your spare time take up whittling, then try to make the grafting cuts on branches. It is actually very hard to get a good match the first time. I have problems because I have a weak wrist and my cut is wavy and not straight so I don't get a good seal even if I do get the size right. The other problem I have is that I always need help wrapping the scion tight enough on the branch without moving it and wrapping it well enough that it is not so easy to pull it off.

applestar
Mod

Sounds like a great idea. The repotted and uppotted avocados will have another flush of growth when they are brought indoors. :bouncey: Next one will be some time in late winter.

I really want to learn to graft -- not only the avocado but all my other fruit trees, too.
So far my only success has been one apple. :|

Dr Greenthumb

I was helping my mom with her avocado tree. She got it from a friend with a graft. It was a couple feet tall with a thin little trunk and already trying to give fruit. I would try and knock off most of the flowers because I knew the tree wouldn't be able to support the fruits. It's been about 7 years the trunk thickened and we put it in the ground. It doesn't seem to grow much but it has healthy leaves and gives 3-4 avocados per season and they're quite tasty.

applestar
Mod

Avocado 'Day' is back in the house. I brought it in earlier than the others because it's growing flower buds. :o
image.jpg
I don't know if it will try to bloom now/soon or later like the last time:

applestar
Mod

Update -- not blooming yet but the 'Day' flower buds - trusses are developing :D
image.jpg
These are branch tips of Avocado #1 and #2 -- I keep hoping to see flower buds on these too... I gave them VIP spots this winter with plenty of light :cool:
image.jpg

applestar
Mod

I forgot to mention that, last year when they flowered, the 'Day' avocado blossoms produced copious amounts of pollen -- I'm hoping that the avo pollen will be acceptable to, and feed the beneficial insects like ladybugs that I am releasing among the winter indoor plants for their protection. 8)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

So that's a light fixture above them... Is it wrapped in foil for reflectance? How many of those fixtures do you run all winter and do you add more for seed starting?

applestar
Mod

Hmm I guess you are concerned about energy usage?

I added this one this year and turned an unused, dark 1/5 of the kids' playroom into a jungle -- avocados, mangos, citruses, tea shrub, overwintering eggplants, stevia, banana, pineapple, ginger, mints, hot peppers, tomatoes, aloe, etc. etc. :D
image.jpg
This area was first to be infested by the TRM (some dead plants have already been removed). I also replaced the bulb in the torchere in the room to a giant photographers CFL bulb. The air quality in the room has noticeably and significantly improved. It doesn't hurt that the Meyer lemon has started to bloom, though I miss the fragrance in the a Family Room where it was situated last winter. We sat under the canopy of the "Jungle" and I found myself breathing deeper. :mrgreen:

The "playroom" would be called the "dining room" on a realtor's floorplan, right off the kitchen - the heart of our home. Although the kitchen window sports two utility lights with CFS, amount of space in the kitchen that I can begrudge the plants is limited to a single window bench. So this room now also functions like our house's natural air filtration system. -- DD's are now calling it "The GREEN Room" :wink:

In the Family Room, I have another fixture like the one pictured above, and this was dubbed "The Winter Wonderland" and has been my main Winter Indoor Tomato and Pepper growing, as well as blooming orchid display area. I had the Meyer lemon here last year. And in the summer time, the SE-facing window-side, cleared bar-height surface with the overhead light fixture becomes my kids' project space. I have a two t-12 fixture standing vertically on the floor that provide light for the old "Cool Gang" avocado forest space, which is currently hosting the Orange Pixie tomato, which I recently described in the Winter Indoor Tomato thread, a large pot of beautiful celery, one of the Fish peppers that is currently sporting 5 orange-turning-red fruits, smaller rosemary, a rooted Petit Negri fig cutting I took earlier in the year, overwintering Donkey Ears pepper, and a citrus, as well as the seed grown coffee -- now towering over behind us on the sofa table, slowly declining Lettuceleaf basil and the overwintering Scotch Bonnet pepper with two remaining fruits.

I have one more same fixture in the garage which is the "V8 Nursery" and is currently growing winter lettuce and salad greens, onion/garlic greens, as well as keeping alive the larger pot of rosemary, still blooming pots of pineapple sage, as well supplying light for the dormant Petit Negri fig.

In addition, there is a two-T12 tube fixture providing light and some warmth for the dormant peppers, pomegranates, lemongrass, and -this year- big mama banana.

I have a major light/energy hog dubbed "Winter Paradise" on the NW facing window-side bench seat, which is the vinyl covered 30" plant shelf with two interior shelves. I have cobbled together lights for each shelves and also have another light setup for plants on the top outside of the covered shelves. Inside of this "indoor greenhouse shelves" in the only place that stays in the 70's during the winter months, and I grow tropical plants that need the extra warmth in there, which include orchids that are currently sending up flowers stalks and setting flower buds.

All of these (except the garage set up) are in the first floor living areas. Upstairs in one of the girls' bedrooms, I have another plant area with two utility light CFL's and the lights are bright enough that she often doesn't bother to turn on the overhead light :roll: I try to keep at least some of the fragrant or blooming plants in there -- cinnamon basil and the two jasmine pots at the moment -- and this winter, there is also the fruiting espaliered Coyote cherry tomato. :-()

For my situation, all of these extra lights work out very well because we homeschool and we're home most days especially in the winter. No winter blahs and seasonal disorders here, and vast majority of the plants are food bearing plants and some are still giving as winter solstice nears and we head into the depth of winter.

...and later on, V8 nursery and parts of Winter Paradise will be turned over to winter seed starting depending on temperature needs. By that time, some of the edible plants will have finished producing or will be declining due to constrained root space or other issues, and as thaw approaches by late February, it will be possible to send some of those plants outside for the remainder of the winter and early spring. Eventually, I intend to figure out the season extension outside with use of coldframes and covered poly tunnels, etc. and then, I may be able to keep the garage V8 Nursery lights off for a while longer in the fall and turn them off earlier in the spring.

Indoors, the plants get moved around and regrouped as they decline or as the outside temps become warm enough to send some of them outside, and the sun start to come around further east to rise earlier and set later further west, providing more light from the windows get turned off in sections. Then the lights are turned off in sections as they become unnecessary.

applestar
Mod

Some of the 'Day' blossoms are definitely getting ready to start opening :D
image.jpg

applestar
Mod

The new leaves of Avocado #2 are gorgeous bronze... Maybe because they are directly under the lights?
Attachments
image.jpg

applestar
Mod

image.jpg
"Day" is still blooming :D
It actually has three branches that are all lined with floral trusses, plus a new central shoot that is also covered with blossoms.

I've been running the soft paintbrush over them but am not sure if they will set fruits.
I'm also releasing the ladybugs among these blossoms in case they can use the pollen and nectar for food that will provide the necessary nutrients for them to successfully mate and lay eggs.

applestar
Mod

Did I mention my avocado's in some other thread this past year? I can't believe I didn't update this thread.... :? Anyway, you know I would have if any of those hundreds of blossoms set fruit. :roll:

But we are back with new flowerbuds on the Day avocado (top row). Other photos are shots of terminal growths on the biggest two seed-grown avos I have, though I have several more :> )
image.jpg

-- and I have something more to share :-() --

I had to seriously prune these three biggest trees to get them back in the house this fall.
image.jpg
I took some of the pruned branches, prepped them as scions, and tried to graft them onto some of my younger seed-grown avocados in 1-2 gal pots. I think I tried 6.

One of them failed almost immediately, so I tried again a little lower down on the trunk... And I think that one "took" -- there is a little bud poking out through the paraffin tape. I lost track of which scion it was though, so it might not be the already blooming "Day", but one of the others .... :oops: This stock also was grafted with a T-bud that looks like it might be coming off, but I'm keeping an eye on it, just in case it's going to be OK.
image.jpg
A second one with terminal flowerbuds -- obviously "Day" :() -- is looking REALLY good.
image.jpg
Two others really don't look very hopeful, and I have one more but the plant is located in a difficult to access spot, plus this is the one that the treefrog was hiding in a week or so ago, so I haven't had the chance to open up the produce bag covering the grafted branch to check it. :roll:

imafan26
Mod

If your day avocado has pollen those are the males. The B avocado should have female blossoms. You need to transfer pollen from the A to the B when the female flowers are open.
After the pollen has been shed the blooms will be done.
https://ucavo.ucr.edu/Flowering/RemarkableFlower.html

applestar
Mod

'Day' which I suspect is 'Holiday' is supposed to be self fertile.

But someone said you need to save pollen from morning blossoms and apply them to afternoon blossoms, then save pollen from the afternoon blossoms and apply them to morning blossoms because Holiday has both type A and type B flowers. I will try this method this time.

Return to “All Other Fruit”