Rose bloom
Green Thumb

What do you think is the easiest plant to grow

I think that it is the jade plant

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I would say most weeds. Vegetable I would say a radish!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You put this in the Cactus/Succulent Forum. I don't think Bobber paid attention to that. Did you mean what is the easiest Cactus/Succulent to grow?

Jade would be a good start for that, but many succulents are pretty low maintenance -- aloe, sedum, hen and chicks.

Are you talking about indoor, container, outdoor? For cactus outdoor, I think prickly pear. You can just take a pad from a prickly pear and throw it on the ground and it will grow.

imafan26
Mod

Tillandsias. I like Spanish moss because I can hang it on a tree, fence, or clothes hanger in a sunny airy place. It just needs to be watered to keep the plant gray green and plump. For me it is every day, but it is out on a tree where the wind hits it, but if I miss a day it won't sulk. Since it dries quickly it is the one plant I don't have to worry about getting too much rain. It gets thicker over time and then it can be divided and spread out otherwise the center that does not get light will turn black.

Of course this only works in a frost free environment.

In colder environments they still make good house plants that need a bright spot and a little more humidity. Other tillandsia are more compact and grow slowly and have showy bracts after they bloom. Since they can be hung and are not usually potted in dirt, they harbor few pests and do not take up a lot of floor space. They don't require frequent watering although misting would be appreciated.

Other tillandsias can be mounted with a glue gun to pieces of driftwood, cork, planks, or trees and while they still need watering, they are forgiving if you miss a day.

https://www.airplantcity.com/care.htm

baileysup
Green Thumb

It's hard to pick just one, but there are many succulents out there that are pretty easy to grow. It's really a personal preference situation, about what you like. I love jades and aloes, but there are many others out there to choose from. Basically, if you see something you like, research it online to make sure that you can supply proper growing conditions for the plant. Is there a specific plant that you like? I think the jade would be a good first succulent as well, and they are so cool, they even look like trees sometimes.

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

peace lily

I cant kill mine :D

Rose bloom
Green Thumb

RainbowGardener, yes, I did mean cacti and succulents. But it is ok.

Rose bloom
Green Thumb

Thanks all of you. :D :D :D

Rose bloom
Green Thumb

Whoopsie, not again! RainbowGardener, I meant indoors, containers, and outdoors.

applestar
Mod

OK I got one for you -- MOTHER OF THOUSANDS (Kalanchoe daigremontiana) :twisted:

Rose bloom
Green Thumb

Applestar, I replied to your thread about that plant's ID.

purpleinopp
Green Thumb

Thanksgiving cactus (Schlumbergera truncata) seems happy about anywhere, just an hour of sun to sun all day, blooming like crazy recently, kind of slowing down now. They don't rot as easily as most other succulents, for those who enjoy watering plants. Easy to propagate.

Spotted
Cool Member

For me, I would have to say that its a toss up between my lipstick plant and my aloe plants. I'm terrible at remembering to water my plants lately. These two plants, as well as my spider plants not only survive my forgetting to water them, but also my two year old helping. Pots have been knocked over, roots and stems broken, and my poor apartment light. Also they have each been e watered with milk, juice, or viniger at least once.

Rose bloom
Green Thumb

Thanks.

baileysup
Green Thumb

You can't forget about "snake plant" either. Also known as Sansevieria. They are very hard to kill, and don't require a lot of light. At the same time, they will handle full sun, if that's what you have.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

oh yes, sanseveria, aka sword plant, aka mother-in-law's tongue!

It was a subject of an experiment for me. An apt I lived in came with a sanseveria in a windowsill type planter - about 3" wide by a foot long by about 6" deep. It was sitting indoors on an east facing windowsill, but there were a lot of trees there, so the window actually got very little light.

So the experiment was about how much plant matter could be created essentially from nothing, out of very minimal dirt, water, light. All I ever did to that plant was pour some water in it very occasionally. Never added any soil, which got more and more visibly depleted, never fertilized, etc. The plant kept getting bigger and bigger, not just taller, but more and more swords, so the pot was fuller and fuller. In those conditions, with so little light, it never bloomed, but it kept on growing and growing.

I lived with it for nine years and then I left it behind when I moved out of there, so I don't know what happened to it after that. But it seems like the definition of easy care.

Rose bloom
Green Thumb

Interesting.

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”