imafan26
Mod

sooty mold

I thought I had an aphid problem on my lemon tree, but I had sooty mold but no aphids. I looked around and also saw that the ti had sooty mold too. It was all coming from the plumeria trees. My vegetable garden is about 5 ft away from the plumeria in a raised bed created by staked stones. There is a path of bricks and weeds that is lower than the garden and a couple of inches lower than the plumeria. If I treat the plumeria with a systemic fungicide, the plumeria is 15 ft tall and close to 40 years old so I can't really spray it, will it cause a problem for the vegetable garden?

applestar
Mod

Are you asking if the systemic fungicide will get in the food garden via the roots or foliage traspiration/dripline or something like that?

HOW will the systemic fungicide be delivered/applied to the plumeria? I mean isn't the root zone/dripline of a 15 ft shrub already IN or UNDER the garden that is only 5 ft away?

(it sounds like you may want to alter the topic?)

applestar
Mod

What if you used a tree/shrub sprayer and started with something innocuous like AACT?

imafan26
Mod

I was thinking of using a systemic fungicide that is applied as a soil drench around the plumeria trees.

The plumeria is on the perimeter of the property so it will be hard to spray it without spraying into my neighbors yard and my water pressure is very poor, otherwise, I would just jet it off with water. Plumerias have a small shallow root system and I have not had encountered any roots from the plumeria in all of the years I have gardened here so I think that I don't have to worry about root translocation, but mostly from possible runoff.

The sooty mold is probably from the severe white fly problems this year. I don't really see any now, but it could have been there earlier. I had been blasting the citrus, and peppers and hibiscus with water earlier this year to keep them off of them. And the corn did its' job of attracting the purple ladybugs that finally got control of the problem. I don't usually look at the plumeria leaves until they drop. The leaves will fall off and if I keep picking them up it should be less of a problem next year. the sooty mold is also on the branches. It could have just grown from the fallen sap like they did on the citrus and ti. It is unusual for ti to get sooty mold. The problem is the plumeria rust which really weakens the trees and makes them more susceptible. The fungicide is more to control the rust than anything else. I will put out ant bait under the trees and that will keep aphids and scale off but not white flies.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”