Keating Wines
Newly Registered

Overwintering hot peppers in greenhouse

I am attempting to overwinter my hot peppers in a 6x8 greenhouse this year. It will be my first attempt, so I have many questions.

I have transferred most of my hot pepper plants into the greenhouse. Some directly into the ground, and some into containers. I have a small space heater that I believe will keep it above 50 degrees when it really cools down (right now lows are about 40).

Here are my questions:
What is an optimal temperature range, both high and low?
When should I prune back? I've heard to do it before the go dormant, and I've also heard to wait until early Spring.

I would be grateful to hear any other methods, advice, or experiences that you have.

Thanks in advance,
Eric

billw
Cool Member

Depends on the species of pepper. Most will survive as long as you keep the temperature 40 or above. Rocotos will survive anything above freezing. Some percentage won't make it, no matter what you do.

It helps to prune them back significantly.

Chaoskojin
Newly Registered

I also am going to attempt to prune back all my pepper plants from my Bells and banana peppers to my
Jalapeno and habanero peppers but I will be placing them in a 8' x 8' hoop house I made with pvp pipes.
I don't know if they will even survive the winter :-( if they wont maybe someone can give me advice also if I'm wasting my time or not.

Thx.
Glen

imafan26
Mod

I don't need a green house and I still cannot keep bell peppers alive and Jalapeno's don't live that long or well for me. Hot peppers like tobasco and habanero's have lived for years. I have a tabasco that is 10 years and I got a habanero to live 4 years in a pot. Super chili also lives as long as tabasco peppers. Chiletepins, and thai hot chilies have also lived at least a few years. I haven't had that much experience trying to keep other peppers long term. Cayennes, I never tried to keep a long time and this is the first year for the Thai chili. Banana peppers have never lived that long for me.

The longest lived peppers I have had are the c. frutescens, c. baccatum, c. chinense, c. pubescens.
C. pubescens, are more tolerant of the cooler temperatures, but not can handle frost.

C. anuums like bell peppers are the shortest lived, except for the bird pepper Capsicum annuum var. glabriusculum which lives a long time.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Glen/Chaoskojin -- we can't give you any help/suggestions without knowing where you are.

Return to “Pepper Forum”