MarcP

A weed in the park

I should know what this plant is but it's not coming to me. I found it growing wild in the park on Oct 11. Any ideas?

MarcP

Me: Maybe it's a columbine.
Marc: Could be, but I doubt it.
Me: Why?
Marc: The leaves don't look right.
Me: Do to me.
Marc: OK, whatever
Me: Bye
Marc: Bye

applestar
Mod

- wild parsnip?

...But it also reminds me of rutabaga...

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

yep, I swear I should know it, too. not columbine. don't think it's wild parsnip either.

what rutabagas do you grow, AS? are they not broadleaved like a turnip?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Similar to Tansy Ragwart but not quite.

Eric

MarcP

I looked up all of the suggestions and I agree that none quite look the same. Here is the only other photo I have of the plant:

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

The new picture. How about Goutweed.

Eric

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Marc, you need to go back and see if there is a flower associated with this plant. Dried up and decaying on the ground - might be okay!

I too feel that I should know this - even that I somehow know where one is around here somewhere :roll:.

Eric seemed to want to stay with the aster family. It looks a little like feverfew but only a little. Parsnip? Yeah, something in the carrot family, maybe. Brassica? Columbine? Well, buttercup family . . .

Can't be a poppy but here is another buttercup cousin: Chelidonium majus (celandine). I feel that this picture could have at least given me a "close but no cigar" but I'm getting more confused now! Chelidonium majus photo

Steve

MarcP

digitS' wrote:Marc, you need to go back and see if there is a flower associated with this plant. Dried up and decaying on the ground - might be okay!

I too feel that I should know this - even that I somehow know where one is around here somewhere :roll:.

Eric seemed to want to stay with the aster family. It looks a little like feverfew but only a little. Parsnip? Yeah, something in the carrot family, maybe. Brassica? Columbine? Well, buttercup family . . .

Can't be a poppy but here is another buttercup cousin: Chelidonium majus (celandine). I feel that this picture could have at least given me a "close but no cigar" but I'm getting more confused now! Chelidonium majus photo

Steve
I haven't found any parsnip photos that look much like this plant. Chelidonium majus comes closer than anything I've seen so far. Especially at this Michigan site: https://www.michiganflora.net/images.aspx?id=1885
Thanks to everyone for their input.
Marc

benali

I'm pretty sure it's not parsnip, as I grow parsnip in my garden and it doesn't look like this.

Whatever it is, it's pretty common in the great lakes states. I've seen it in moderate shade areas in the forests and parks many times.

If you could find the flower that would help for ID. This is just a guess, but maybe foamflower?

Return to “Plant Identification”