applestar
Mod

Marconi vs. Corno di Toro peppers?

Has anyone grown both ? -- could you provide a comparison review?

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Corno di Toro peppers: probably the most productive peppers I have ever grown - if only for 1 season. Thin walled, DW was not especially happy with them.

Marconi peppers: Tasty! Just a real nice Italian sweet pepper and trustworthy. Along with "Giant Marconi," they have made me a believer! I've got both of them every year for about 10 seasons now. Marconi always does better than the giant.

Just how things play out in my garden.

Steve

applestar
Mod

Thanks Steve! Sounds like I DO want to grow Marconi peppers next year. 8)
I WAS going to look for yellow Corno di Toro seeds since the red one grows so well.... Well...maybe both... Or all three if you are recommending Giant Marconi too? I'll go look that one up.

One interesting thing I noticed about Corno di Toro red this summer -- Even in small -as in 6-7 inch- container and only about 8"-10" tall, it will try to grow a single nearly full sized (at least 5"-6" long) fruit and even have 2 or 3 additional smaller fruits growing at the same time. I first noted it when my SIL didnt get the chance to uppot the plant I gave her and it had this HUGE fruit turning red -- so big it was hanging down the height of the container and the tip of it was below the table the pot was sitting on :shock: Then my own neglected plants in small containers started to fruit. :D ...In the ground of course, they can grow to 4 ft plants loaded with with 8-10" fruits without any special attention.

I brought the 2 container plants inside to grow indoors this winter, and I may yet dig and pot up one of the big plants. :mrgreen: (Ideally, it should be given at least a 5 gal container, but I could probably only provide a 2-3 gal size at most given the limited space.)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”