hardland

Seed Starting mix for my FL winter Tomatoes?

It's that time again, at least down here in FL. I have been looking for a plain seed starting mix, but can only find miracle grow seed starting mix, that has fertilizer in it. I assume it's the amonia based kind, non organic. I found plain canadian peet moss, will that work for seeds? Thanks

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I don't believe I changed any procedures from last year. All 10 flats are open, no cells. The mix is a 50/50 Coir / Perlite and the thermostat is set at 80F. No artificial lighting
I'm quoting myself from an earlier post.

Eric

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I think pure peat moss would be too moisture holding. I use a mixture of mushroom compost, coconut coir (sustainable alternative to peat), and perlite. For next seed starting season, I will be working on a more sustainable alternative to the perlite.

hardland

Thanks RG, I read on thru the seed starting section and found where you said that miracle grow seed starting mix is ok, has some ferttilizer that can be useful when you get true leaves ( I think it was you) Maybe I should just use the MG mix.

applestar
Mod

This year, I used organic potting mix combined/diluted with sand and coir for seed starting.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You can just use MG regular potting soil (not the moisture control kind). But it does have synthetic petroleum based fertilizer in it, not organic. That's why I started making my own. Once I got used to the fact that my homemade potting soil needed nitrogen supplementation once the seedlings were getting big, it worked well. I probably should put an addendum on my old seed starting thread! :)

Juliuskitty
Green Thumb

Hi Hardland,
I am here in South Florida and started about 1500 seeds, mostly tomato, all in the Miracle Grow seed starting mix. I have had great results with germination from it. Been using it for about 3 years now. Most of my resulting seedlings are now in 4 inch pots using Promix BX, looking strong.
If only they made such a thing as deluge rain resistant!

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”