RamonaGS
Green Thumb

The epic battle of the catnip shrub!!!

About 2 years ago, I decided to try and grow fresh catnip for my Bombay, Darom, as a special treat. I had no idea he was such a fiend for it though! I plant the starter in a nice big pot so it has room to grow, and I though maybe he would not notice the nip right away...I was so delusional! I set up the plant, and then go in the house to get something. I come back, and that nosey cat was hunched over the catnip plant with his face burried in it. I hollered at him, "Darom! Get!" which usually does work, since he usually just is in my project to get my attention, but this time, he turns and looks at me like Dracula hovering over his next victim, and if he could would've shouted, "LEAVE US ALOOOONE!"

I had to hang it from the edge of the roof to keep him from trying to eat the whole thing. Now don't get me wrong, I was growing it for him, so I would pick leaves off of it and give him some when the plant got big enough, but Darom though he needed it ALL THE TIME! He would meow at every human he saw, and would walk in circles under the plant looking at it longingly, hoping we would give him more. He meowed at me, my brother, my mother, my brother's girlfriend, my friends, the neighbors, the mail carrier, even at the UPS and Fed Ex carriers, as if he was saying, "You there! With the opposable thumbs! Make yourself useful and get me the nip! Be quick about it before mother sees you!" Any human he saw was fodder for his obscession! Then fate was on his side one windy day, and a gust of wind blew his precious catnip plant down, and it landed on the ground. Unfortunately for him, I heard it fall from in the livingroom, and I was able to intercept him from eating it.
Since catnip is a mint, and it was about 15 inches tall at this point, it survived the fall, and I planted it in a larger planter, and put a bird basket around it. The idea was that as the plant grew, the leaves would grow through the cage, and Darom could nibble away without killing the plant. Sounds like a solid plan doesn't it? Well, not if you are in a battle with a psychoticly obscessed, infernally intellient, black siamese cat. It lasted about a month, and then I came home, to find a pot of nothing but twigs sticking out of the dirt, and the basket force field, lying on the ground a few feet away, and a rotten drug fiend cat that was too stoned to even move. :shock: That was when I gave up trying to grow catnip, and just won't bother anymore, LOL

applestar
Mod

nutz:
LMFAO

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Good story! :)

I also gave up on growing catnip. I wanted some for my garden. I started it from seed on the second shelf of my seed starting operation, which is high and inaccessible to the indoor cat (who is also pretty fat and lazy and probably never realized it was there). I grew it to good sized transplant size and then planted it in the garden.

Immediately the outdoor cats started rolling on it. Didn't really eat it much, just rolled on it. The first few times, it sprang back up, but eventually they just rolled it to death.

RamonaGS
Green Thumb

He definitly became mean and nasty tempered after the plant was dead, and his supply was cut off. He would meow, scratch and bite us because there was no more catnip! Must've been withdrawl. We had an intervention, and took him to 12 step meetings. It was kind of weird when it was our turn to introduce ourselves. I had to stand up and say, "Hello, my name is Ramona, and I've never done drugs, but Darom here is a total addict..." :o

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

When we lived on Vancouver Island ( born and raised there) we had a cat called GS, for garage sale, where

we got him from. He would roll in the outdoor catnip plant and then lay there high as a kite. Was actually kind of

funny to watch. He was the only one of our cats that got high on it. :D

Cola82
Green Thumb

I have some catnip in a pot on the patio, but so far it's too small to attract the attention of any feral cats.

My cats are absolute fiends for dried catnip, but when I offered them some of my first fresh leaves, they didn't know what to do with it. :/

They have failed at being cats, I think.

applestar
Mod

Try rolling the fresh leaf between your fingers under their nose -- you might want to picture old films when they used to roll cigars under their noses... Or maybe Tom and Jerry or Bugs and Daffy would be what comes to mind....

I've also put the leaf under their paw pad and made them stand on it, then gently hold down the paw and twist back and forth so they are crushing the leaf underpaw. With my cats at least, they will look at me, then at their paw... And then all of a sudden the aroma hits them. Sometimes, in their rush to pick up the paw and turn it over, the leaf itself goes flying.

Cola82
Green Thumb

No, I tried bruising the leaves but they actually pulled away when I tried to offer it to them. I don't know, maybe something else is going on. :roll:

imafan26
Mod

I tried to plant catnip for the cats but they sat on it until it died. Then, I had a box mad out of wire put on top of it so the light and water could get in and the cats couldn't sit in it anymore. That did work. The cat sat on the wire cage all day over the catnip.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

If your kitty doesn't like catnip, try lemon grass leaves. Some purr faces loves to play and chew on them, and of course some don't. Just the nature of kitties!

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

My cat used to climb up the inside of my ceiling high cupboards to get to biltong (dried meat) at the top. How he managed it I do not know but he did. And ate my dad's Christmas presents.

PS If you like to read you would like Cats in the Belfry by Doreen Tovey.

RamonaGS
Green Thumb

I had an old cat that would not leave raspberries alone. He would eat the berries, fritters made from the berries, raspberry jam, raspberry donuts, I even caught him stealing raspberry danishes out of a package. We switched to making stuff out of blueberries, and he seemed to not like those as much, but he still would try and sneak blueberry muffins. He was a little fiend! :lol:

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I have two big catnip plants in my green house that planted them selfs, they are a weed.

applestar
Mod

They are a weed she spread everywhere UNTIL you need them for your kitties.

...weeds are like that.

imafan26
Mod

The cats also would curl up in the spearmint. It is hard to believe how a 13 pd cat could manage to fit in a coffee can, but he did and sat in the mint until it died. I did have another cat with strange tastes too. She liked to be carried out everyday and she would chew a leaf of the bamboo. She also liked the smell of bread, she would chew a hole in the wrapper and we would find the bread drying out in the morning so the bread had to be kept in the freezer or the microwave so she could not get to it. Sometimes she would chew on plastic bags and cardboard. I had to hide the plastic bags in a cupboard.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

It sounds like you have a Garfield cat.
There is a lake I sometimes go to where they have mint farms all around it. You can smell the mint, and when the harvest it, WOW!

Cola82
Green Thumb

From what I'm reading, it sounds like you just need to unleash a few cats on your yard if you want to get rid of it. D:

Sweyn

Has anyone here tried Matatabi (Actinidia Polygama)? It's a kind of Japanese Catnip but, more powerful than normal Catnip. It's also known as Silvervine and is edible for cats.

For those who are unfamiliar with it, there are videos of cats going crazy for it, on youtube.

Cola82
Green Thumb

Maybe that would be the ticket to get my cats to do more than eat it quietly and go about their business as though nothing had happened.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

I have been away from the site for awhile and just saw your post. LMFAO I have grown catnip for my cats in the past. Not recently. Cat nip and my cats did provide me with hours of laughter. "This is your cat on drugs". I hesitate to introduce catnip to my girls because my 19 month old is a real spaz cat - as in literally bounces off of the walls crazy. I can not imagine what she would do with catnip. Destroy my house.

Cats with catnip really are hysterically funny.

Thank you for sharing your very funny story.

imafan26
Mod

If you think cats go crazy, try giving some dried catnip to a dog. The dog will growl at you if you try to take it away.

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”