applestar
Mod

What's the weather like where you are?

Starting a fresh thread for this --

We're having some crazy wether here. After over a week of heat wave in upper 90's and heat index of as much as 106°F and night time LOW of mid to upper 70's, this morning dawn temperature is 60°F :shock:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yup, we are in the same weather pattern. Chilly now. We didn't even run the attic fan last night, currently at 7:30 AM 56 degrees! July 25th. Our cool weather pattern looks like it lasts clear through to the beginning of August. Weird summer!
Last edited by rainbowgardener on Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

grwrn

We have a lot of rain this year. We have had more rain this year thus far compared to the totals for the years of 2012 and 2011. Definitely unusual weather for a South Carolina summer. We get rain at least every other day.

Mostly hot and muggy in the 90's otherwise.

applestar
Mod

Overnight forecast for tomorrow night and Friday night are 48°F and 46°F !!! :eek:

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

We're still in the low to mid 90's range daily and out nightly temps only get to the low 70's if we're lucky. I can't wait for fall to finally arrive. We've had almost daily rainfall and that only makes the humidity that much worse if it comes early in the day. At least I don't have to water as much except for the potted plants on the porches.

Such is life in the deep south.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

High about 70* and low about 50* for the next 10 days. We average about 8* cooler than Seattle.

We are a little above average rainfall for the year. Sure wouldn't think so fo June, July and August. https://www.fridayharbor.org/Utilities/rainfall.htm

September is starting out wet but 1 inch or less is normal.

Eric

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

it's been wet here for months. this region has been exemplifying the rain forest vibe this year. it's drier this week, highs lower 80’s, lows upper 50's. daily afternoon thunderstorms return this weekend, I guess.

imafan26
Mod

It has been in the mid 80's during the day, but the nights have been relatively cool around 67 degrees. We have had tropical storms passing by almost every day to the south that robs us of the trades and then we get isolated showers, but not enough not to need to water. It has been so hot, it is hard to be outside after 10:30 a.m. However the pepper and eggplant love this weather and are cranking out eggplant and peppers every 10 days or so. The lettuce has been bolting, but the cucumbers have started to flower. The tomatoes are in flower, but only a few tomatoes are on the bush. I am still finding snails but not as many as I used to.

Moonshadow

Humid as heck and about 90 yesterday. It's supposed to be similar today, plus the possibility of rain. Starting Friday, though, we're supposed to drop down into the 70s for a while. I'm okay with that.

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

Right now it is supposed to be 30c (86F) today and two nights ago over night it was 6c (42 f)

Needles to say we have had a wet cool year. With massive flooding in 2 of the four corners of the province and no heat most of the summer it was an interesting growing year. Any time now the temperature will crash and that will be that !

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Seattle had a record high yesterday, for that day, of 90* old record was 87* They are predicting a new record today at about 85*

Eric

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

Sounds like fun! We are getting all the heat of our summer now. I hope it lasts long enough for my squash to finish up!

mmt

The day before yesterday was record high like 32 C in afternoon and still 28 C when the sun down, very unusual in September in Fraser Valley. :)

applestar
Mod

UGGH! I've been sick and haven't been paying attention to the weather forecasts. I FINALLY got out today to harvest some stuff that needed harvesting:
Dr. Lyle tomato, Berkeley Tie-Dye (heart), Beauty King, bunch of Punta Banda; Etkezi Paprika, Hot Lemon, Peru White Hab; Petite Nigri fig, Prok persimmon
Dr. Lyle tomato, Berkeley Tie-Dye (heart), Beauty King, bunch of Punta Banda; Etkezi Paprika, Hot Lemon, Peru White Hab; Petite Nigri fig, Prok persimmon
1ad6e0aea29334a0bede63e5d55a7700.jpg (63.32 KiB) Viewed 4870 times
...but now, at 9:30PM when it's dark and way too late to think about going out -- today's activities having brought on a relapse of rising fever and stuffed head, and threatening bronchitis -- I vaguely remembered it was supposed to get cold tonight :shock: ...Just checked and yep, it's supposed to get down to 48°F which means, yes, subtract 2-3° for MY garden for expected low of 45°F :x :x

Last three times we had mid-40's overnight temps, I covered the tropicals -- orchids, banana, pineapples, most of the hot peppers, plus the summer squash and one of the cucumbers for insurance. The hot peppers I didn't cover are yellowing now and looking like they are hurrying up with ripening the fruits they have left.

I don't dare go out now, so they will just have to fend for themselves, but it so IRKS me because after Monday night's forecast of 45°F ( :eek: DEFINITELY cover or even being some stuff in) I see forecasts in the high 50's and even 60's.... :roll: ...and actual frost shouldn't be here until mid-October or even 3rd week, though we've had first frost as early as first week (I hope not though). :?

lily51
Greener Thumb

Record high of 91 on Wed, close to a high of 62 today. And of course, rain in between.

applestar
Mod

This time, it's a single overnight drop to 42°F (worst case, upper 30's and frost), then back up to overnight temps in the 50's -- average that is supposed to last until at least the end of this month.

This kind of transition weather is the worst. Do I bring all the container plants in or leave them out? I've moved some things closer/close to the house and covered, albeit with light protection only. Most everything in-ground is too big to cover so it's live or die. :?

It's already 43°F out in the open -- I ventured outside and covered a few more things I'd already brought to the patio for protection where it is currently 47°F. :| The moon was gorgeous in the chilly sky -- I didn't even need to turn any lights on. :D

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:This time, it's a single overnight drop to 42°F (worst case, upper 30's and frost), then back up to overnight temps in the 50's -- average that is supposed to last until at least the end of this month.

This kind of transition weather is the worst. Do I bring all the container plants in or leave them out? I've moved some things closer/close to the house and covered, albeit with light protection only. Most everything in-ground is too big to cover so it's live or die. :?

It's already 43°F out in the open -- I ventured outside and covered a few more things I'd already brought to the patio for protection where it is currently 47°F. :| The moon was gorgeous in the chilly sky -- I didn't even need to turn any lights on. :D

Oh my goodness, I'm envious. It was close to 92 today with no rain and high humidity. I worked in the garden for an hour today pulling weeds and setting up the sprinkler and was soaking wet when I got done. I see no real relief in sight anytime soon and the lowest we can expect for the next 10 days is in the low 80's during the day and in the low 70's at night.

Fall can't come soon enough for me.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

definitely more autumnal here. highs in the upper 60's to mid 70’s, lows in the upper 40's but mostly mid-50's...looks like it'll be about like this until next month at least. hoping frost holds off as long as possible, as usual. got a lot of yacon in the ground I want to get big, and lot of hot peppers I want to ripen.

currently 131 days since the last spring frost up at the yacon patch.

imafan26
Mod

It is in the low 80's in the day and close to 70 at night. It is cooler than it has been in years. Typically August and September are the hottest months. It is good news since most of the hurricanes also come at this time of the year and cooler water and brisk trades will keep them away (knock, knock) There has been a few brief showers but nothing really big. I still have to water.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

^yeah, our summer of endless rain has ended, it seems. I've been watering a fair amount the last couple weeks.

applestar
Mod

:eek: Worse than I feared -- 37°F according to official temp :eek:

...getting ready to go outside and check things out... :(

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Next ten days 65* day 49* Night.

We have had two rain showers this month, not sure but something like .75 of an inch.

Eric

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

After a nasty dust storm to start the week, we may have finally reached: The Big Cool Down.

Two record highs last week that were in the 90's after many days like that thru mid-summer. The little bit of rain that followed all the wind was not quite enuf to wash the dust off of things. Monday, it didn't warm above 60°f until afternoon!

It is now breezy and 49° this morning with a promised high of 65°. It really should be okay and there's another 80° predicted for Friday. After that, we'd better be happy with 70's.

It could be much worse. A town in the Columbia Basin about 100 miles away had 90's for 5 days last week, including a record 99°. Then, the dust rolled over them. They got a good washing however, power outages, lightening strikes, high winds and toppled trees! Their local newspaper called it a "blast" but I don't think they meant as in fun . . .

Steve

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Dark right now.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Tom,

How about . .

. now?

Steve

applestar
Mod

Alright, alright, cut it out! :lol:

...speaking of "dark" -- because of the shifting sunrise in the compass direction and the elevation in the sun's arc, some of my garden beds are becoming "part sun" and "part shade" instead of full sun. Soon, some of them will be in full shade until spring.

- The shadow of the house has been creeping up on the Spiral Garden for a while now, but now it covers the whole thing, though it still gets a few hours of sun in mid-day and a few sunset shafts of sunlight between trees.
- the "noonday shade" area where I was keeping my container plants are in FULL shade now with no direct sun at all. I had to move the containers that are staying outside for a little while longer to sunnier parts of the garden.

It's a good idea to track shadows and shades through the seasons if your garden is not out in the open. I have a color coded (background cell color) spreadsheet chart that maps the sun exposure for all my garden beds for that purpose.

Juliuskitty
Green Thumb

High in the upper 80s, torrential downpours associated with an upper level low for the last 5 days. Finally today some drier air, but it poured last night. And I have small seedlings, hundreds of them sitting in boxes on my patio with not enough light because until this morning I didn't dare take em outside. :cry:

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

tomf wrote:Dark right now.
applestar wrote:ephemeral
:lol: Eric

LA47
Green Thumb

I posted earlier that we've already received a hard frost and another hard frost last night. It's suppose to start warming up next week with some showers.

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

We just went from a 120 day season to 100 day.. Early sub zero weather BOOOOOO just one night and the rest we are good :(

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I was down cutting wood when it started to pour out, by the time I got back to the house I was soaked.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Lots of rain in the deep south today. I'm not sure how much we got measured in inches, but I do know my garden was so flooded only the crowns of the rows were showing for a while.

I just wish the temperatures would drop 15 or so degrees overall. I'd love some low 60's at night right about now.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

On my, woke up and went out on the back porch with that first cup of coffee and it's 68 degrees and overcast. The coolest it's been since last spring, and a much welcome sight to see sub 70 temps once again. I hope this is a sign of things to come and the heat of summer finally gone for another 8 months or so.

Can it be? One can only hope. :-() :-()

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Twice this weekend I was down a ways on our land cutting and splitting fire wood, when it poured on me. The first time it came down so hard, even under big trees I got wet, so I packed up my saws and jumped onto the tractor, by the time I got to the house I was 100% wet. It looks like the Oregon Rain Festival has started.

sunflower13

Been a roller coaster here. Summer was pretty consistent but last month has been weird. Weekend before last was 90s but the very next day it dropped to the 60s. Now we are cold. No frost yet (keeping fingers crossed). End of week will be mid 70s.

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

I got snowed on at work yesterday. luckily I was 400km away from my house and at high elevation!

the indoor grow room is up and running ;)

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

sunflower13 wrote:Been a roller coaster here. Summer was pretty consistent but last month has been weird. Weekend before last was 90s but the very next day it dropped to the 60s. Now we are cold. No frost yet (keeping fingers crossed). End of week will be mid 70s.
And now the Weather Service says it's not gonna happen, Sunflower13.

Rain & cold. We are skidding, almost out of control :wink: !

The days of record-high temperatures in the 90's just 2 weeks ago, seem distant. It didn't make it to 60°f yesterday. The WS tells us that it was the first day with such a cool afternoon since June 21st. Honestly, that tells you more about our Junes than late September here in the inland NW, yes?

The recent storm spun into western Montana and into Canada; where it came back south again. This morning, that storm is hitting the eastside of the Cascades. It is good, I suppose. Not terrible rain and it was the Cascades' eastside where the terrible fires were this summer.

Tomorrow morning, the thermometer will drop to the 30's, we are told. (Some locations in the 30's this morning!) Last time with those cold morning lows: May 24th.

Steve

sunflower13

digitS' wrote:
sunflower13 wrote:Been a roller coaster here. Summer was pretty consistent but last month has been weird. Weekend before last was 90s but the very next day it dropped to the 60s. Now we are cold. No frost yet (keeping fingers crossed). End of week will be mid 70s.
And now the Weather Service says it's not gonna happen, Sunflower13.

Rain & cold. We are skidding, almost out of control :wink: !

The days of record-high temperatures in the 90's just 2 weeks ago, seem distant. It didn't make it to 60°f yesterday. The WS tells us that it was the first day with such a cool afternoon since June 21st. Honestly, that tells you more about our Junes than late September here in the inland NW, yes?

The recent storm spun into western Montana and into Canada; where it came back south again. This morning, that storm is hitting the eastside of the Cascades. It is good, I suppose. Not terrible rain and it was the Cascades' eastside where the terrible fires were this summer.

Tomorrow morning, the thermometer will drop to the 30's, we are told. (Some locations in the 30's this morning!) Last time with those cold morning lows: May 24th.

Steve
We were cheated ;). Even though we haven't had a frost since May, the weather we have now is the weather we had in April, May and most of June. My warm weather crops were severely stunted and almost didn't produce in time with the bizarre weather patterns. 60s and rain in June with record high heats at the end of June stunted most plants. Septembers for the past 3-4 years have been warmer and one year I picked fall raspberries around Halloween (believe in 2010) so if this area will cheat almost all of June from me, then I expect it to give me a nice September :D. But with our winters being very mild, we probably need the rain to make up for the missing snow in town. When I was a kid, snow was a part of winter but now we can go days without snow and then get dumped on. Wonder what winter will have in store for us!
Last edited by sunflower13 on Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Today, Wet and miserable

Eric

sunflower13

DoubleDogFarm wrote:Today, Wet and miserable

Eric
So sorry! I guess it must be a Washington thing; we are too :(. I could handle a four month summer or longer :).

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”