Culchie
Newly Registered

Putting up a Vinyl Fence

Hi everyone. I'm going to put up a Vinyl privacy fence in part of my yard. I'm confused about the posts part of the construction. If I secure the end post in with concrete first, do I wait and concrete in the other posts as I connect the panels ? If so, how is the best way to keep them plum while the concrete dries ? I know I can't permanently secure ALL the posts first, or I won't be able to get the panel slats in.

Also, I got 4x4 posts to go inside the post sleeves for added support. But if BOTH the wooden post and Vinyl post is surrounded with concrete, there won't be much concrete around the 4x4 posts. So how does it really give more support ? Thanks

Wayne

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I have only done it with 4x4’s but yes you measure and put in the posts first. You can use boards or 2x4’s to hold the posts in place. Run string from the first to the last post to line up the posts. With the posts in line start at one end and cement them in.

applestar
Mod

It's been a while since my fence was professionally installed, but I remember they used a two-man augur to dig the post holes. They securely cemented the corner posts, but I seem to remember they didn't cement one or some of the posts. I vaguely remember asking about it or being asked where I wanted the "loose" posts to go -- which will be for removing the fence panels in case we needed access (I seem to have forgotten which post that was though.... :oops: )

In our case, none of the runs were exact fit and they had to cut the last panel to fit, and I think the final post went in while fitting the panels into the post. That part was a bit more complicated and the crew chief took care of it each time.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Just my opinion, vinyl looks fake, I don't care much for it, but it is easy up keep. It would go good with vinyl siding so every thing looks plastic. :wink: Just my taste that is all.

imafan26
Mod

Vinyl does not rot, but if you have a white one with red dirt, the dirt can really stick to it. You can paint it, but then it really is not maintenance free. Also if you accidentally hit it hard enough in the right place it can crack. But it does last longer than a wood fence. Cedar and redwood last the longest but still rot over time and I do have to replace the 2x4 rails because they are douglas fir and they do not last as long as the redwood boards. There are many designs available. I would select a common design in case you want to extend or have to replace a panel for some reason. Someone hit one of the neighbors' wall, and landed in the middle of the yard. I still can't figure out how they did that, the street is relatively straight and wide and the house is in the middle of the block. It is the second time someone hit that wall.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

There is a vinyl fence down the road on a tight turn that gets hit a lot, some times three times a year. :roll:

Culchie
Newly Registered

I don't think it gets hit because it's vinyl. :wink:

imafan26
Mod

Well, I don't think anyone is really aiming for it, but if you don't want to have to replace everything or have a section that does not match. It is a good idea to use a commond panel design.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Culchie wrote:I don't think it gets hit because it's vinyl. :wink:
:lol: It is on a tight turn, there are signs telling people that, but they still must go to fast around the turn. :roll:

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Culchie wrote:I don't think it gets hit because it's vinyl. :wink:

Makes one think doesn't it. :wink:

Eric

Return to “Landscaping”