Sean805
Newly Registered

Juniper turning brown. Is it too late?

Ive had this for about 6 months, then last week it started browning
weather has been good, no frost yet, I'm in Santa Barbara, Ca.

[img]https://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc275/swd805/Seansdigitalpictures268.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc275/swd805/Seansdigitalpictures269.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc275/swd805/Seansdigitalpictures270.jpg[/img]

alisios

I'm no expert, but I think it may be too late...

Junipers like to be outdoors and not too wet soil... also it may have been dead since you got it - since Junipers look good for awhile

you could try to scratch the surface of a branch to see if there's any green, but I think the recovery might be dismal...

Save the pot and try again!

Others here might have a different opinion...

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Sean805,

Hello and welcome to the site. Unfortunately I agree with alisios, I do not hold much hope for this tree. From what I can see of the soil it appears to be rather dense and peaty. My Juniper is doing well in a mix that is nearly 100% inorganic, just a little bark.

Norm

Sean805
Newly Registered

thanks, guess its time to find another.
Do you have any guesses as to what killed it?

alisios

My guess would be too much water, not enough sun...

While you take it out of the pot, check the condition of the roots... they'll tell you a lot, I think...

alexinoklahoma

When a plant 'whitens' like that, it is *obvious* there has not been anywhere near enough sunlight upon it to keep the chlorophyll 'active'. That tree died from lack of light, no doubt whatsoever, and I'd bet you could rub most of needles off with minimal friction (right??). It *may* green up with some light upon the needles, but grim chances. I'd just toss it as far as you can into the woods around you (or into a nearby Dumpster), and never keep a juniper of any type in less than bright-shade in Deep South States (full-sun further north, of course). Anything less will disappoint you, I promise (and guarantee as well)

Next time you are at any place that sells nursery-sock junipers, feel the soil/media in some of the pots. Bet it is kinda gritty and rather dry-to-touch (usually). I rarely see any junipers within a soil that actually has any 'dirt' within the pot. Sometimes, it seems that they use chunky 'sawdust' or such (what the heck is that stuff?!?). That is what junipers prefer - more dry more often than roots being 'wet' most of the time. Period and 'end of story' :)

HTH,
Alex

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”