sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

OMgosh, YUM!!!!!!!!!!!

I now know my favorite varieties and which ones will be my main crop from here on out.

Aunt Ruby's German Green tomato... finally got my first one in today, and OMGosh, it is SOOOOOOO good!!!!
Kellogg's Breakfast... I grew it last year, and it was so good that I had to grow it again. How delicious!
Pink Brandywine... It really grows well for me here and I like the flavor.

Can you recommend your favorite paste tomato? What is a good high yielding type? I have not found one yet that gives a good crop. I had a friend who grew one and it was covered in tomatoes, but she didn't know what it was called.

Oh and for cherry type tomatoes, I like the sungold, and so do my family.

applestar
Mod

OK now I have to try Aunt Ruby's German Green next year. I'm not sure if I have seeds for that off hand, so I'll have to check.

I have to say I'm surprised by your line-up. I remember leaving ARGG off my list because it was one of the very late maturing varieties, and I limited myself to 4 of those. My Kellogg's Breakfast PL (KBX) was one of the last to mature from the first string of plantings in the Spiral Garden, so I'm imagining that regular leaf version takes a while too. (Pink) Brandywine is usually on the late side as well though there are specific named selections that are said to be earlier.

Did have earlier tomatoes too? I wrote up a bunch of flavor comparisons, some with photos.

I'm in pursuit of best tasting varieties too. :D

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

I don't know? LOL. All I know is that I planted tons of varieties and they're all coming in at the same time hehehe. I planted those varieties, plus black krim, cherokee, prudens purple, sungold, red brandywine, roman candle paste, and the long paste ones, can't remember the name. they're all coming in at the same time, even the cherry tomatoes. I planted another variety of cherry too and those are all coming it at the same time as well.

everything is late for me this year, so I don't know whether I can really compare if those "late" varieties late or not :)

taradal
Cool Member

OK, now I'm going to have to try that ARGG, too. A question: is it one of those extra tall, rambling vines? I'm planning on adding more pots, next year, but I'll grow the taller varieties in the in-ground garden.

I found that tomatoes from my Black Russian made the BEST sauce ever! Thought I had frozen enough to last me into the fall, but I'm almost out. Love the black tomato flavor: rich and smokey and a little salty. I've decided to grow mostly black varieties, next year.

As far as pastes: I grew one Opalka, this year. In a pot, by accident ( I thought it was something else, until it started producing tomatoes). Production was low, but I don't think it should have been in a pot. I'm trying a few, next year, because it was absolutely delicious!!! Large, meaty plum tomatoes with great sweet/tart tomatoey flavor. It was one of my latest producers, but, once again, that might have been the pot thing.
Oh, and I also ordered Grandma Viney's Pink and Yellow seeds. I've been looking for a good bi-color. Plus, who can resist that name? Just saying it makes me smile. Same question: would they do OK in large pots?

I'm done with Brandywines. My second year and hardly any tomatoes. Last year, I blamed the heat, this year, the humidity. They take up too much space in my garden and they suffered from more blossom drop than any other plant. I don't think they like the South. Or me ;-)

imafan26
Mod

Brandywines are delicious. They are a lot of trouble though, the plant is huge, has lots of fungal issues so needs to be on a spray program and I have to grow it in 18 gallon containers because it is not nematode resistant either. I had to bag them to keep the fruit flies from stinging them and use bird netting to keep the birds out. But if you get the right strain, they do produce in the South. I'm pretty sure I am more south than you since I am in Hawaii. '

I was told that the brandywine might not successfully pollinate in high humidity because of the pollen clumping, but it was not an issue. I also found out that there are different strains of brandywine and I might just have been lucky to get the right one. My packet just said Brandywine. It even surprised me, I did not expect it to last through the summer.

For paste tomatoes I like San Marzano and Amish paste.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

Oh, it was opalka I grew this year. Just don't get very many on the plant!

Brandywine grows well here, but I think it is because I'm in the north. they must prefer it here better than the south??

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

the best part of it all, is that I didn't get early blight this year! Only septoria. So my tomatoes are actually not rotting for once, yeah!

Juliuskitty
Green Thumb

How about a paste/canner/cooker that can be over 1 lb ? Try Romeo. Can be hard to find the seeds for it though. Casey's Heirloom Tomatoes of Airdrie has it, Sample Seed Shop may have it, they did last year. :D

taradal
Cool Member

OK-I just ordered Romeo seeds from Casey's. If you can grow it in south Florida, then surely a Georgia summer will not be a problem!
And yes, Imafan, Hawaii is certainly south. I probably should have said "southeast"! I've been to Hawaii a number of times,(the Big Island), and have never experienced the high level of heat and humidity that we have here. You might be right about the variety of Brandywines. I might try again, in a couple of years :-)

Juliuskitty
Green Thumb

taradal wrote:OK-I just ordered Romeo seeds from Casey's. If you can grow it in south Florida, then surely a Georgia summer will not be a problem!
And yes, Imafan, Hawaii is certainly south. I probably should have said "southeast"! I've been to Hawaii a number of times,(the Big Island), and have never experienced the high level of heat and humidity that we have here. You might be right about the variety of Brandywines. I might try again, in a couple of years :-)
Oh, thats cool! I actually haven't grown it yet, but 1 had 4 for 4 germination since I started my seeds last Saturday, my season is just beginning. I learned about them from a lady who lives in Mexico and grows them there. She is kind of an expert on paste types as she had a business providing sun dried tomatoes, and doesn't eat them fresh. :)

Juliuskitty
Green Thumb

taradal wrote: Oh, and I also ordered Grandma Viney's Pink and Yellow seeds. I've been looking for a good bi-color. Plus, who can resist that name?
IMHO if you are looking for a truly great bicolor, choose Lucky Cross. Oh,gosh, it is sooo delicious. Strong plants too.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”