Ash
Newly Registered

Advice wanted on moving a large fuchsia bush

I wish to move a large fuchsia bush approx 3ft tall with a spread of around 4ft.

I think next spring might be the best time to do this but am not sure.
I would also like your opinions on how much to cut it back please if necessary.

Thankyou.

Jess
Greener Thumb

Hi Ash :D

Whereabouts are you?

Even hardy fuchsias are not THAT hardy so depending on how cold your area gets depends on when you do what.

I am approx zone 8/9 and I would move in Spring (March/April) and then cut quite hard back if it was a mature specimen.

Ash
Newly Registered

Sorry I forgot this is worldwide.

I live in Yorkshire, Northern England.

Thankyou for your reply.

Jess
Greener Thumb

A fellow Brit. That makes it easier. :lol:
Just wait for the weather to warm Ash. I have no idea when that will be next year. The weather seems a little wierd at the moment. Once you notice a bit of new growth would be the easiest way. Once you see that move it chop it.

Ash
Newly Registered

What do you call cutting hard back?do you mean cutting to the old wood or to the start of the new growth?

Jess
Greener Thumb

I would cut it back to below the start of the new growth but not by too much. This will keep it nice and bushy.
Depending on how cold it gets will make a difference as to how much it dies back. Our Winters have become much milder to the point where even non-hardy varieties are surviving outside. This means they are not knocked back so much. You may only need to cut it back by half or 2/3rds. Some of the branches may die back completely in which case they would have to be cut back to the crown (5/6cm from the base) The fuchsia would resprout from that point.
It all depends on how exposed it is to the elements and how cold our Winter gets this year. Too many variables to give you a hard and fast rule. :roll:

Ash
Newly Registered

Thankyou, your info will be most helpful.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”