sagedavis

Water, Water everywhere, nor a drop to drink.

I thought I would post, perhaps not so much a question, but more of an open discussion. Perhaps this will spark some ideas for some of the newer gardeners.

The discussion:
Many of use who have water piped to us from city reservours, may have water that was processed with clorine. I know, I do. I can smell "bleach" whenever I shower, or turn on a faucet. I refuse to drink it myself, so, I have a "britta" type pitcher that filters the water for me. I don't like giving my plants this water either.

What measures do you take to obtain suitible water for your plants?
If money and time were no option, what would you do to improve, or completely change the system you are currently using?

My answers to these questions.

Currently, because I am using pots only and a very small garden, I do use my tap water, however, what I do is fill up a barrel which sits out in the sun for several days to nuetralize some of the clorine in the water.

Next year, I plan to install gutters and collect rain water. This is something that I had at my old house, but, living in Texas, we do have seasons with very little water.

I wish that our treated tap water was filtered out so that all you had was H2O and that's it.

What are you guys doing with yours?
Sage

lillgardnr

I use water from a well,....no bleach....and the plants love it :D

Grey
Greener Thumb

Until we get our gutters and rain barrel (or cistern) put together, I have been doing what I call a "redneck rainwater collection system" consisting of several 5-gallon buckets lined up on the ground at the edge of the roof. Unfortunately, we have been SUPER dry here and I've basically only been able to give my plants just enough to keep them alive. No great growth to report this year. :(

Jess
Greener Thumb

I was all prepared this year as last year we had the hottest Summer on record and had to syphon bath, shower and washing up water to use on the garden as we had a hosepipe ban. I bought water butts to attach to every down pipe that I had.
This year we had the wettest Summer on record. Typical! :x I think I watered the garden once after I had been on holiday in the only two weeks of the Summer that the sun shone.
Grey would you like some rainwater? I have seven water butts full going spare. :lol:

sagedavis

Something I might soon start doing.

My grandmother used to throw every kind of water all in a bucket, and put it on her garden. I mean, water when she did the dishes, her washing machine water would be collected in rain buckets.. Basically, as long as there wasn't any bleach in it, she watered her plants with it.

I remember, she had the best ever tomatoes (which are very good when picked green as well. A totally different flavour).

She cleaned EVERYTHING with Amonia water, and that always went into her Victory Garden as well. The only bugs she ever got were slugs, and we would spend many a summer morning squishing and salting slugs.

I may try to find something other than bleach in my washing machine, and start using that on my plants too, just to see how it will all work.

I should look into "water butts" so that I have a clue what you are talking about.. LOL..

I'm glad people are using this thread... I find "alternative" watering ideas a crucial part, especially for the organic gardener.

Can it still be organic if amonia water/bath water is used?
Sage

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Bath/shower water, dish water; these are types of water referred to as "grey water", and most dept. of agriculture ok it for flower gardens, and some veggie gardens (not root crops). IF the detergents used are low phosphate-type, then that's better. I'm not sure ammonia is a good idea for edibles. I belive the "butts" Jess refers to are what we call rain barrels. Or some kind of water/insect tight keg. Putting a fine screen across the top of the barrel will help prevent mosquitos from laying their eggs on the water. I've heard barley balls may also help keep them off the water. Or you could get those BT dunks and plop one in every month or so. If you're in a zone where you get freezing temps, then you'll have to drain them and divert the source for the winter.
Regards,

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”