CaseyC
Newly Registered

What could be causing this??

[img][IMG]https://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b535/CaseyC79/image_zpsf1daba35.jpg[/img][/img]

This is my Chinese Elm, he is 12 years old.. He will have 5-6 yellow leaves a day that when touched fall off with ease.. I use the chopstick watering method.. He faces east gets morning sun from sunrise to about 1:30-2:00, area is well ventilated, temps have been in the upper 80's to low 90's, mid humidity, location is Oklahoma..

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Casey at a guess only, when was the last time you repotted him?

If its been a year or more, don't repot right now. But to poke many holes through soil with your chop-stick. This may need to be repeated monthly till fall dormancy. Repot next spring.

If you did repot this spring, did you use soil specifically for bonsai?

Check your roots.

CaseyC
Newly Registered

It was not repotted this year, it is on its 2nd maybe 3rd year in this pot..

tomc
Super Green Thumb

CaseyC wrote:It was not repotted this year, it is on its 2nd maybe 3rd year in this pot..
Three years is on the long side between repots.

No matter how rugged the bark mulch is in bonsai soil, it does over time break down and revert back to humus. Which leads to compacted soil and maybe root bound roots.

Now is not the time of year to repot. You are going to have to root prune and replace soil next spring. For now your going to try to get by with poking many holes with your chop-sticks to work a little air into soil.

Please do not cut corners and try potting or soiless mix. Both are inadaquate to your need.

CaseyC
Newly Registered

I will plan on repotting this next spring on my Elm would his pot size be ok and just need to change the soil or would I need to move him into a little bit bigger pot?? I do have a 9 tree Maple forest that is getting repotted and pruned at the end of Sept and they are going to be moved to a larger pot to stretch their legs..

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”