Lillian1961
Newly Registered

This might be a shrub and might be a tree...

IMAG0010.JPG
IMAG0010.JPG (46.71 KiB) Viewed 636 times
IMAG0011.JPG
IMAG0011.JPG (37.52 KiB) Viewed 636 times
These are two pictures of what might be a shrub or might be a tree. Since it is growing in almost full shade of a pine it could be either. I suspect it may be wild and native to our northern Michigan.

The fruits are about the width of a green pea and shaped somewhat like a Christmas tree light. You see these small berrylike fruits grow in bunches.

What is this plant, and is the fruit edible?

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

not edible. that's a nightshade.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I guess, but only if the roundish, yellowish leaves in the foreground aren't actually the ones that go with the berries; they are all wrong. But I think there are some of the ovoid leaves with pointed tips in the background that would match nightshade. The nightshade I get in my garden is deadly nightshade, which has black berries. But there is one called bittersweet nightshade, also a common weed, that has the elongated red berries like that. The leaves and berries of both plants are toxic. It is not a tree or a shrub; it is a woody vine.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

the second yellow leaf up on the left has a more classically nightshade leaf than the strangely plain one in front.

Return to “Plant Identification”