Dookie2705
Newly Registered

Under Watering?

Hi :D I was given a bonsai as a gift last week and watered it when I got it as the soil was very very dry- I then was sick for a couple days (the bonsai is a small indoor office bonsai).

Having returned I noticed that the bonsai was again very dry and all the leaves had dried up. I have watered it by giving it a full soak until the bubbles stop coming but the leaves are still really brittle and dry- Have I killed the bonsai or will the leaves return to normal :?: What can I do to help it:?:

I have moved it away from any radiators as these tend to be hot in the office?

PLEASE PLEASE HELP :lol:

artisanoo

I am by no means an expert so I don't want to give you any advice that may lead you in the wrong direction, but while you are waiting for the more knowledgeable people around here to look at this question, it might be a good idea to post some details about the tree. at last try to post what type of tree it is, since it is hard to help anyone with this kind stuff without knowing anything about what the specimen is...

Dookie2705
Newly Registered

Thanks for the info :D The box says that it is an indoor bonsai - that it is a Banyon Bonsai?

The box also says its 4 years old - hopefully this helps? I am unable to post pictures at work sorry

artisanoo

Dookie2705 wrote:Thanks for the info :D The box says that it is an indoor bonsai - that it is a Banyon Bonsai?

The box also says its 4 years old - hopefully this helps? I am unable to post pictures at work sorry
there is no species name? if it says banyan, may be a ficus or a schefflera..

can you get a picture?

if not, can you describe the leaves and trunk a little?

one more thing - if it came in a box, is there any other info on the box, like where it came from? that could also help tell what it is (like if it came from fukubonsai.com, or something like that...... )

edit: just realized you said you cant post pics -
for a reference, here are some links that show pictures of two types of trees I mentioned:

ficus:
[url]https://order.flowersonline.tv/images/products/brussels/White/1609large.jpg[/url]

scheff:
[url]https://www.bonsaigardener.org/hawaiian-ubrella-bonsai.html[/url]

notice that on the second example, the leaves are all in little bunches on stems (actually they are called leaflets, and they are part of what is called 'compound leaves') while in the first example, they look more like regular individual leaves.

Dookie2705
Newly Registered

The Box advises that the Bonsai is from China, and it is a Ficus. (sorry missed that bit of info)
:P

artisanoo

ok thats something. being a ficus, it is a type of tree that can survive inside (I was asking because sometimes there are trees sold as 'indoor' trees that are not actually suited for inside conditions at all)

anyway, like I said before, not being an expert I don't really know any other questions to ask beyond that... but if you are curious as to whether it is alive you can try the scratch test - you can gently scratch or scrape a tiny section of bark away on a branch (or trunk, if thats what you are worried about) and see if you see green underneath. a live plant should nice and green under the bark, but if its brown, well you get the idea...

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Dookie2705,

It sounds to me that it is likely that this crop of leaves will not recover. That does not necessarily mean that the tree is dead though, never give up. It is important that it not dry out again nor should it be kept soggy. Be careful, a tree with no foliage will have a reduced water uptake. Take a look at the general growing sticky located at the top of the forum for watering tips.

It may take weeks or perhaps even longer to put out a new crop of leaves so don't panic. Humidity will help so your office may not be the best location for it, search the site for the term "humidity tray". Ficus are noted for dropping their leaves when moved to a new environment so now might be a good time to move it home if you are so inclined.

Norm

Dookie2705
Newly Registered

Thanks ever so much - I have now moved this little tree back home where it can get my full attention. the leaves are falling like nothing on earth but fingers crossed he will be ok.

Thanks for all your help :D

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Dookie2705,

You are welcome. Please stop back and let us know how it goes.

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”