jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

You gotta love July for the garden produce.

jemsister

Wow, do I envy your garden! That is one fantabulous harvest you have there! What is the round yellow squash with the splash of green on top? It's very pretty, whatever it is. And are those apricots in that basket?

I hope I can invest more next year. I have a feeling I won't have the same budget that I did this year. One can always dream though!

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

Impressive!! All I've harvested thus far is peas and 3 green beans LOL

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

Looking good! I'm in my "tomato apocalypse" stage right now. Most of my cukes, zuchs, etc. have pretty much run their course...

I should have corn ready in the coming week or two.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

What is the round yellow squash with the splash of green on top? It's very pretty, whatever it is. And are those apricots in that basket?
The squash is a volunteer hybrid. Yes, apricots.

Yesterday we bottled a six gallon bucket full of green beans. Got 36 pints.

Getting loads of summer squash.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

When you have a volunteer squash hybrid, how do you know when it is ready to pick?

I had a squash plant come up where I once had a blue hubbard, but I do not recall ever dropping seeds there. It came up, it is vining out longer than a summer squash plant would, but it looks like a yellow summer squash. I have NO idea what the thing is. could it be a hybrid of a summer and a winter variety? if so, when would you pick that?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Beautiful! I'm getting some tomatoes (and have tons on the vine being a bit slow to ripen), lots and lots of bell peppers, a whole bunch of really big fat carrots, some beans, lot of celery, chard still going strong, parsley. No squash yet, because I didn't do summer squash because of the borers. Lots of herbs and flowers. I'm about to go see what my potatoes did this year...

It would be such a treat to grow corn, but it would require more space than I have AND a big tough fence.

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

How long did it take for that pepper to get that big? Was that from seed?

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Thought is was about time for your abundant harvest. Your veggies always have such rich color, and come as ours are easing off. Great pictures.

I am wondering if your veggie arrangements have some subliminal messages?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Sheshshe, if it looks like a summer squash, pick it when it is small like you would a crookneck. Yes, summer squash will cross with some of the winter types and also pumpkins of the pepo type.

Zucchini and crookneck will not cross with Hubbard nor Banana though.

I didn't eat that bi-colored weird squash, but it was fun to look at.

I always buy starts for peppers and tomatoes.

Summer squash anyone?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Onions anyone?

jemsister

Wow, that is certainly an abundance of summer squash! Do you sell them at a farmer's market?

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

I love all the pictures! It looks soooooooooooooo good!

Ok, I'll pick it. it is shaped like a summer squash, but more fat. just weird.

applestar
Mod

Lovely harvest as always :D

Is there anything you can do with the green onions to preserve them aside from chopping and freezing? ...or do they all get sold/eaten?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Yes, I do sell at a local gardeners market. All those onions went to market this morning and I sold most of them. I have a few bundles left, wish I could pass them out to all of you. Green onions have been a good seller at market. I might mention the yellow ones went better at market today.

I have not tried to preserve green onions. There are two kinds in the picture. Some are White Bunching Onion and they never make a bulb. The others are Yellow Spanish Onions and they will make a bulb. You can see they already have a bulb coming. Best thing to do here if you don't need the green onions is let them finish up and store them as dry bulbs. The bulbs get about the size of golf balls and down, from these onions planted from seed in April.

The large onions in the picture: White onion planted from small plants in April.
Yellow onions planted from sets in April. I am really liking these white onions. The yellow onions are better keepers.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

How long did it take for that pepper to get that big? Was that from seed?
I don't like to fuss with covers, hot caps etc. so I buy my starts and don't plant them out till danger of frost is past. Here that means first of June. Looks like about 8 weeks from planting out I have peppers. Don't know what variety they are, just marked green bell peppers.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

OK, jal, this is the best I can do this late in our season. Your produce is now at prime and mine is at the end. This is a recent picture, however, as I took this produce to a party last Thursday night to give away. God has been good to us this year. A harvest from a tiny seed is always amazing to me. And I did start each plant from seed in my little greenhouse.

Peppers, eggplant and okra will continue until frost, and I have some fall tomatoes and squash in the ground.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

You are ahead of me, James.

I see some sweet corn tasseling around the neighborhood. I suppose I could have planted something like Fleet again but the plants are so small that it is almost embarrassing to have it out there :wink: . Instead, I'm waiting for the usual, Ambrosia and Sugar Buns.

Zucchini just started coming off last week and I've eaten the 1st 4 cucumbers of the season :) . It will seem like forever waiting for peppers and eggplant . . . I'm still getting 3 or 4 Sungolds every time I go out but the only (slightly) bigger tomato has been the 1st few Bloody Butchers. I have a ripe Fireworks and am curious how that one does since it is only its first year in my garden. Some of the other varieties are loaded with green tomatoes and it won't be long!!

Onions? Of course, I've been enjoying the sweet onions from scallions on. They have been bulbing up over the last several weeks but it is only now that a few of the onions are making very big bulbs. Shallots were all harvested and are now nice and dry . . . I don't suppose that you want to see my kale :? . Oh hey! I've started to dig the Yukon Gold spuds!

Steve

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

What do you do with all your squash?

I was getting about 3 squash every day for a while, we over dosed on it after 2 weeks.

We gave squash to everyone we knew they all over dosed on squash too. I pulled up all the plants.

Sure would like to have squash from time to time in the winter if there is a way to save it.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Summer squash in season, but I don't like it frozen nor bottled. Some of the winter squash will keep into winter in the basement. We don't freeze nor bottle winter squash either.
What do you do with all your squash?
What we don't eat, sell, or give away ends up worm food. I know, plant a few plants and get much more than needed. Its OK, the worms enjoy it too. I tossed two buckets full of summer squash to the worms yesterday. I planted a lot this year as I wanted plenty for market. Well you need to pick it every other day so the squash are small like people want, and probably half of it goes to the worms. Yet you need several plants to have enough on market day. I like it fresh picked. That is what we advertise.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Taterpatch

Pumpkin blossom

What's that hiding?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

This was last Sundays harvest all the beans, corn are canned and the tomatoes were turned into tomato soup and canned Friday evening.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

As usual, Very nice James.

How about your local food bank? Will they take the leftovers?

Eric

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Ohio Tiller, nice showing. You gotta love it when all the food comes pouring in.

My "local food bank" is 13 miles away. Price of gas what it is, I don't take it that way unless I happen to have other reasons to travel that way.

No tomatoes nor melons yet here.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

lakngulf, good showing. I will be lucky to get any tomatoes. The climate here doesn't have enough frost free days for lots of the warm weather stuff. Pass the maters.

LA47
Green Thumb

Our garden had a slow start this year due to the cold rainy spring. It finally started warming up good the very end of June and is producing good now. Gardening at this altitude is a real challenge. We've already had a few nights dip down into the low 40's.
A suggestion for any extra produce is to donate it to your local senior center. Fresh produce is really appreciated by them.

bryce d
Cool Member

That is some nice looking stuff. My garden is doing great, thanks to all of you

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Much smaller garden this year, but still getting good eats. :D

Eric

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

Those figs look great! I had my first fresh fig I've ever eaten a few days ago from a friends tree. Now I am going crazy deciding what varieties to plant...

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Desert King is the variety I have. Looks like I will have a few root suckers. What do you have in trade.

Eric

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

Digging potatoes in the morning they are all done top side so it is time to see what the bottom side looks like.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Just picked corn, beans, broccoli, cukes, onions and squash for the market tomorrow morning. I am gonna have a truck load.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

Well I am tired we dug 4 wheel barrels full of these!
Had a pretty good day picking. The tomatoes are finally turning yellow and red. but I still have hundreds that are green! The raccoons found my corn last night and I lost maybe 2/3s of it!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Wow! Mighty nice taters.

Aw, too bad about the corn. Darned critters anyway.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yup, back when I used to have room to grow corn, I gave up on it, because every critter loves corn, including especially raccoons and deer.

As an herbalist, a lot of my harvest is small. Today I hung a bunch of basil and mint to dry, oven dried and cleaned enough thyme to make a half cup of teeny-tiny leaves, made up and froze 5 dinner size baggies of pesto, distilled 2 one ounce vials of oil of thyme, and made 6 jars of purple basil jelly.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Punkin Patch

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

[quote="jal_ut"]Punkin Patch

I am putting in a seperate patch next year for mellons they spread out so badly that I had to stop tilling for weeds way to soon between rows. Those things are at least 25 to 30 foot around.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Just got my first ripe cantaloupes. Also got a ripe watermelon.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”