Midwestguy

Crape Myrtles & Reflected Southern Sun

I am going to plant Hopi Crape Myrtles on the west side of my house, but I am also considering planting crape myrtles on the south side my house. I am located in zone 6b in South-central Kansas. My soil is a fast draining sandy loam. The south side of my house has absolutely no shade until about 6:30 P.M. and whatever I plant over there would have to thrive in direct sun, reflected sun, and intense heat. Below, I included a link to an article that says crape myrtles scorch when exposed to reflected sun, but that may just apply to Western Texas locations where that article originated.
Is there anyone who has knowledge and experience with crape myrtles, who could tell me if the two cultivars of crape myrtles I mentioned would thrive in these southern sun conditions in my zone 6b?

Thanks for your help.

https://www.gosanangelo.com/news/2008/ma ... t/?print=1

JustNorthofDFW
Newly Registered

I hope your Myrtles are doing fine :). I just bought one back in June. I almost killed it since I thought I was over watering the poor thing. After a good rain, I realized I was under watering it. At 4 ft in height, I've been giving it about 3 gallons of water.

When I dug up the hole for the myrtle I did as directed, I think to dig the hole twice as deep and as wide as the root ball. I have very thick, clay soil so I guess that helped with the draining. Lucky you for having loam :).

It survived our very hot Texas sun in Dallas. We've been having a horrible drought and our temperatures have been in the triple digits.

Hope that helps :)

Midwestguy

Yes that helps a lot. Thank you. I am seeing a lot of crape myrtles all over my town now in a variety of conditions, so I shouldn't have any trouble with them on the south side of my house. Thanks again. :D

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”