artisanoo

curious about rock plantings

hey, I was just wondering - when you plant a tree onto a large rock (like a landscape scene that you want to resemble a mountain or somesuch), how is drainage taken care of? do they drill holes in the stone to the bottom? or is the rock carved with some kind of channel that drains down?

I always wondered about that

Gabe

ynot
Greener Thumb

artisanoo wrote: how is drainage taken care of? do they drill holes in the stone to the bottom? or is the rock carved with some kind of channel that drains down?

I always wondered about that

Gabe
Welcome Gabe,

Sometimes... There is a lot of hidden work done to accommodate the drainage requirements of complex plantings, Including the things you mention.

Sometimes though....Water just runs downhill; [Even on a bonsai sized mountain] ;).

ynot

artisanoo

thanks - I figured there had to be more than just slapping a tree on a big rock and calling it a day...

I am not anywhere near the level of knowledge that would be that possible, but one day I do want to attempt that - with something maybe a little forgiving and "root-happy" - like another Hawaiian umbrella or ficus.

arboricola

Gabe;

Is this what you were curious about or did you have a bigger mountain in mind..

[img]https://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e188/coloradus/root-1.jpg[/img]

Phil...

artisanoo

bigger. I am thinking more about where the height of the rock makes it look more like a small mountain, as opposed to a boulder.

arboricola

A work of art

[img]https://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e188/coloradus/20050222055433foto02.jpg[/img]

artisanoo

arboricola wrote:A work of art

[img]https://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e188/coloradus/20050222055433foto02.jpg[/img]
thats more like what I'm asking about :)

anyone know anything about how they do that?

ynot
Greener Thumb

artisanoo wrote: thats more like what I'm asking about :)

anyone know anything about how they do that?
Time & inspiration....:D.

You may want to google 'Penjing' [Or creating Penjing], You will find heaps of info on the History & Aesthetics [& a bit on the process involved.]

The work of Qingquan Zhao may also interest you - Here is an example:

[img]https://img329.imageshack.us/img329/5717/chineseelm2qingquanzhaoce9.jpg[/img]

8) 8) 8)

ynot

alexinoklahoma

It can also be referred to as a slab-planting. There's usually all kinds of 'supports' under what you see above-soil. Things like rocks to make it stable and less-erodable, and unseen 'dams' and bumps/ridges (think friction-device) that keep water from letting stuff 'slip' down a slope, etc. Not real hard, but attn to detail is paramount to pull 'em off with illusory-success.

Neat stuff, no?

Alex

artisanoo

wow - both of those are freakin awesome - I wish I knew enough to grow trees like that :)

alexinoklahoma

artisanoo wrote:I wish I knew enough to grow trees like that :)
You *do* know enough ;) It is simply the very-focussed application of what we're usually saying all the time around here. Learn the species and their needs, avoid soggy soil, and take care with how you treat the tree(s). They will reward you for every moment you spend upon them. Those type things are all easy, but require intense scrutiny with each and every action upon each tree :) All it is is pinching, planting, protecting and practicin' what is preached. Right?

Do not fear trying it out - you *can* do it :) If mistakes are made, you will benefit from them and then get it right the next time. I have killed plenty of trees in my time from ignorance and such, and so will you most likely. Just try *not* to, and eventually it all works out for ya...

Alex

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”