Franco

Two plants I need identified please.

Both of these could possibly be weeds. I just couldn't kill them in case they were something cool.

Anyone know what they are?

Thanks for you help!

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

Could the first be grapes ?

Franco

The largest leaf has the same shape as a grape but different veining and texture. The highest leaf is very much different than the rest. I don't know if the rest of the leaves will look the same. I'm pretty familiar with grapes and I'm fairly sure it's not, but it could be a variety I'm unaware of.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

wild grape and pokeweed, both weeds, but interesting ones.

I let some of each grow in my yard. The pokeweed in the ground gets huge and beautiful with deep purple berries that birds like. If you have trouble with Japanese beetles, the wild grape is great to grow as a trap crop for them. Especially when it blooms, the JB's will just stay there in hog heaven and not bother anything else.

At one point I was shaking them off the grape vine into a bowl of soapy water to drown them. After I drowned about 30 of them (which I found fairly horrible since they are beautiful creatures and they drown slowly after swimming around for awhile), I finally decided why kill them as long as they stay put where they are; the wild grape is just a weed, I don't care about it.

applestar
Mod

Agree -- grape and pokeweed. I let them both grow in out of the way areas of the yard.

Pokeweed can get HUGE -- 8-10 ft with 2" trunks/stems -- loaded with the purple berries wild birds love to eat. It dies back in winter and comes back in the same spot from a big root every spring. So I have to remove the dead giant trunks/stems.

Grapes takes a while to mature enough to bear fruits, but the leaves support pretty moth larvae (in addition to Japanese beetles :wink:).

Franco

Thank you both for such great responses.

Return to “Plant Identification”