Rue

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Rue

I'm messing with Rue Ruta graveolens this season. I've had the plant before, and it should be in an 18th c herb garden. I picked up a start last summer, planted and it has done fine, staying green all winter. I have started some seeds, 2 different batches (seed from Horizon Herbs), and have about 8 in 4" pots now. Another plant said to be hard to germinate but I guess my crude system is working as the rate is decent.

In reading odds and ends here and there, think it could be a good one. It is reported to help repel aphids, whiteflies and thrips in the garden. I could use several pots amongst the herbs, especially for whitefly and thrips! It is also a host plant for the swallowtail butterfly. I am sure one fast growing caterpillar could eat much of one plant, but worth having some.

The leaves can be an irratant when touched for some.

applestar
Mod

My "wintersown" rue sprouted! :()

Anybody know when I take the top half of the bottle off? I have been replacing the lid for extreme subfreezing temps and heavy rains.

applestar
Mod

Marlingardener, these rue seeds are sturdy lot :D
They've been doing their own thing out there:

I'll probably uppot some and plant some out soon, but these look like they could stay in here for a little while yet.

How are yours doing Susan?

Susan W
Greener Thumb

My rue starts are getting on OK. They are in 4" pots, different stages, the biggest (relative term) ready to put out to sell. I brought some to Ft Toulouse, AL this past wkd and either sold or gifted a few.

My rue plant in the ground is going gang busters. I got it mid summer last year, a bit puny, and it is flourishing. I will plant at least one in a container this season as a test.

mawink
Newly Registered

This is my first post,so please bear with me.
I was part of a gardening forum years ago, so I am so happy to discover this one.
About rue: I am almost positive that rue is used as an abortifactant, so I was warned to be careful handling it if I was pregnant. I will double check on this . One reason I never bothered with it. Yours looks great, though !!
MaryAnne

Susan W
Greener Thumb

I don't think I'd ingest rue. It was planted widely in the middle ages in Europe as a medicinal, and brought here with the 1st Europeans. A big plus, and has been a selling point for the plants is that it is said to ward of the plague! Who am I to argue!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I don't grow it (yet? :) ) and haven't used it, but there are still a lot of recipes out there for herbal tea with rue with a lot of medicinal claims - and a lot of safety warnings.

Checking WebMD it gives this:

Common names: Common Rue, Garden Rue, German Rue, Herb-of-Grace, Herbe à la Belle-Fille, Herbe de Grâce, Herbe de Repentance, Herbe de la Rue, Herbygrass, Raute, Ruda, Ruda de Castilla, Rue Fétide, Rue des Jardins, Rue Officinale, Rue Puante, Ruta Grav, Ruta graveolens, Rutae Folium, Rutae Herba, Sudapa.

Interesting - rue of course means regret bitterly, repent, so that is the herb of repentance. But also herb of grace, herb of the beautiful girl, rue of the castle, fetid rue, rue of the garden, the officinale denotes its inclusion in the official list of medicinal herbs from pre-technical times.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

More attributes for Rue, from Horizon Herbs. Mainly from middle ages, .....Brings financial rewards, wards off contagion, malevolent spirits, and fleas.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”