danllew
Newly Registered

help with my bonsai-(Fukien Tea)

I'm not really sure what tree it is, and I think it may be dead/dying.

I got it from tesco for a fiver. and I've changed the soil cause it was extremely dry and like dust. the bark of it, is a light brown with light green bits on it, theres not many leaves at all and lots of stringy bits coming off it,the leaves that ar still on are green, but some have brown on them,

from what I described can anyone tell me if it'll be okay? or if I'm wasting my time.

anything would help right now,

thank you.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

danllew,

Without more information it is not possible to make many meaningful comments. Can you possibly post some pictures and any more information you have? Look here for help in taking and posting pictures.
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3557

Norm

danllew
Newly Registered

I'll get some pictures up asap, something else I've noticed about it aswell is that theres like brown moss growing at the ends of branches is that normal?

also there is green inside the branches and the trunk, I know thats good but it doesnt seem to be getting any better. could it have something to do with the weather? its wet and cold here.

I think the tree is a carmona? is that a breed?

Dan

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

danllew,
I think the tree is a carmona? is that a breed?
OK, now were getting somewhere. Look [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3936]here[/url] for a picture of Fukien Tea, Carmona microphylla and a couple of links that will help with care.
could it have something to do with the weather? its wet and cold here.
If by this you are implying that it is outside then it is probably time to bring it in for the winter. This species is tropical and will not survive your winter.
I've noticed about it aswell is that theres like brown moss growing at the ends of branches is that normal?
No this seems unusual to me. Is it possible that you are noting dried flower buds?

Norm

danllew
Newly Registered

its been inside since I bought it.

and the moss thing I don't think it is flower buds, it surrounds the base of the leaves that are still there and the stringy bits I first mentioned, which I now believe to be the flower buds, the moss is actually growing on the branches.

to me the tree looks dead. there doesnt seem to be any new leaves growing, but there is a little sprout coming out of the soil but there wasnt anything in there with it, so I'm confused about that.

if you could give me some advice on helping it live again I would be really greatful.

I now know that the tree is a carmona microphylla, if that helps.

Dan

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

danllew,
could it have something to do with the weather? its wet and cold here.
its been inside since I bought it.
If it has been kept inside then the weather is not an issue.
and the moss thing I don't think it is flower buds, it surrounds the base of the leaves that are still there and the stringy bits I first mentioned, which I now believe to be the flower buds, the moss is actually growing on the branches.
I'm still having a hard time visualizing this. How are the pictures coming?
but there is a little sprout coming out of the soil but there wasnt anything in there with it, so I'm confused about that.
If it is coming from the base of the tree then it might be a new shoot, otherwise it is probably a weed of some sort.
if you could give me some advice on helping it live again I would be really greatful.
Resist the urge to over-water or fertilize it. Keep it damp but not wet and wait it out. It will either recover or it won't

Norm

danllew
Newly Registered

okay, it hasnt really been sunny recently maybe thast could be something? or does it just need natural light?

I think that might be a weed then cause its not from the base.

and thank you very much, I appriciate you taking the time to talk to me about this.

I've taken pictures I just cant get them onto my pc from my camera which is stupid I know, I usualy use my laptop but its broken.

I'll get them up as soon as I can.

Dan

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Dan,
and thank you very much, I appriciate you taking the time to talk to me about this.
You're welcome.
okay, it hasnt really been sunny recently maybe thast could be something?
Am I missing something here? You said you are keeping it inside. Or does this imply that you are relying on light from a window?
or does it just need natural light?
Natural light outside is preferable but since this will not be possible over the winter I strongly suggest that you provide some sort of supplemental lighting.

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”