staceleo
Newly Registered

HELP!?!?!? melons, cukes, carrots being eaten!

I am so upset I do not know what to do!! SOMETHING is getting into my garden and eating all of my cantaloupes before they are ready. It was also eating my cucumbers and carrots!! At first I found a giant groundhog getting in but then I went and bought better fencing and I have even put it double thick and now the groundhog cannot get in but something else is-rabbits or moles? I do not understand how it could be rabbits because I got the rabbit fencing but there are gnaw marks all over my melons!! I also have noticed that my cucumbers that were thriving-their leaves are now turning all yellow and they appear to be dying. I do not have deer around as my yard is fenced in as well as my garden. Could rabbits or moles be doing it and how do I stop them? I already have the darn fence!!

applestar
Mod

GroundHOGs can climb fences. There is one demolishing my sweet potato vine foliage inside a fenced bed. I'm going to cover the top with some combination if screen, deer netting, and plastic film and hope the sweet potatoes will have a chance to recover. I will also reinforce the back yard fence where it's getting in by climbing over the chicken wired split rail fence....and if that doesn't work, I'll turn on the battery operated electric fence which I normally ont need until apples are almost ready to pick later in August or early September.

...the groundHOG climbs the semi dwarf apple tree to steal the apples. :evil:

n8young
Cool Member

staceleo wrote:there are gnaw marks all over my melons!!
lolololol :shock: :shock: :oops: :oops:

staceleo
Newly Registered

Oh my!! I didn't realize how bad that sounded!!

ChrisC_77

staceleo wrote:Oh my!! I didn't realize how bad that sounded!!

I didn't even think of that until I saw the other post pointing it out. And my mind usually jumps right in the gutter from the start. :P

staceleo
Newly Registered

Usually mine does too but I did not catch it. :)

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

staceleo wrote:I am so upset I do not know what to do!! SOMETHING is getting into my garden and eating all of my cantaloupes before they are ready. It was also eating my cucumbers and carrots!!
I make cages out of chicken wire (actually plastic mesh) for my squashes and melons:

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”