shimbu

Traveling and lighting

Gentlemen,

I'm traveling for just a few days, and made sure that my pot was at the point where I could water it right before I left without fear of over watering. I'm only gone for 4 days, which is fine with my new pot, that is a bit deeper than my old one (thats whole nother interesting story that I'll post, with pictures.) I'm just curious as to know if keeping my halogen light on all the time while I'm gone is bad? I wanted to get a timer, but I was going to miss my ride. Will the bonsai be ok until fri? Or should I call my roomy and have him turn it off tonight, and on in the morning?

About the replanting that I mentioned (which is why I have my new pot) I was loosing leaves so badly, and growth almost completely stopped. I happened to pick up the small pot and look in the drainage hole. and the main root shoot was almost coming out of the whole. They didn't have a screen at the hole, so the dirt had fallen out during watering, and exposed roots to the dry air. I thought this was a bad situation, so I mixed my own soil (peat and inorganic grit.) It seems to retain and drain just as I'd want it to. I'm I'm now seeing 2 (thats better than none!!) small leaves growing daily. I'm hoping I see more soon, as I've heard that when the roots get pruned, that there will be equal growth in the limbs, as in the roots as they settle into the new pot and start to sprout new feeder shoots.

I'll share pics soon.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

shimbu,
I'm just curious as to know if keeping my halogen light on all the time while I'm gone is bad?
I take it you are manually turning it on and off. At any rate A halogen light produces a fair amount of heat, I think it might be best to simply turn it off for the few days you will be gone. A few days with low light is preferable to cooking it.

Sorry I did not respond earlier, I was in a hurry earlier and mis-read your post, I thought you had not left yet.

Yes I would get a timer, they are not expensive and take a lot of effort from you. I don't know about you but I am not nearly consistent enough to manage that myself.

Norm

alexinoklahoma

I concur that its always better to have too much dark then too much light (compare to a lengthy rain season), especially if there's a chance that soil will go dry. 'Too much light' can cause tree to use up what moisture is there, with certain species being notable as the exception(s).

And yes, new roots typically produce new growth above-soil...except for my 'golden' euonymus cuttings which have filled the 'cells', but no visible growth of leaves whatsoever - very odd!

Careful with using *only* peat as the 'organic' as it usually clumps/packs, if enough was used that is, and is VERY difficult to get it wet ever again. Water will roll right off/through and leave you with very little water available to roots ;) I use peat regularly, but never so much that it can 'clump' - just enough to be barely noticeable, and only because I live where it is VERY windy and hot. I would not think of using it indoors for 'bonsai' use for the above reasons (but to each their own, of course).

Alex

shimbu

I'm an idiot, it's a florecent. I actually had a post about it a while ago :P

Sorry.

I'll call regardless because I'm going to be out for a bit longer than I had thought... Good thing my roomy has been schooled in the art of watering the bonsai at my command.

About the peat. I did notice that when I water it (I didn't use a ot, more grit than anything) some of it comes up through the grit and sits on top IF** I poor the water in too fast and furiously..I just have to be gentle :P

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

shimbu,

OK, now we have a different scenario. Fluorescents will not produce nearly the amount of heat that a Halogen will so unless it is very close there is little chance of it overheating. Furthermore, if you trust your roommate to care for your tree there would seem to be no reason to cut the light especially since your trip has been extended.

A timer would still be something I would purchase at the earliest opportunity. Perhaps your roommate could even pick one up for you. A light duty one can be had for less than $10.00.

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”