saveme
Newly Registered

HAWAIIAN BONSAI W/ FUNGUS + A STORM

Oh man. My husband got me this amazing Hawaiian Bonsai for my Birthday when he was in Iraq, I can't let it die. Dispite my lack of knowledge it's done pretty well.
I went on Vacation for a week and when I came home it had mold and two cute mushrooms in the dirt, a yellow one and a grey one. My sister said the mold count in the air was high? So I scraped off the top layer of dirt and the shrooms and put it out in the sun cause it was a beautiful day. But then I forgot about it and it stormed all night, so hard it knocked a six foot tree over in the yard...it's doing okay...maybe. The leaves are still green but they just keep getting droopier and I know if it was nice out it would perk up but it's been cold and there doesn't seem to be a good sunny window in this house. Can it handle cool wheather? Does it need more dirt? Could the mold have infected all the dirt and the tree. It said not to replant for a year. Can I just take it to earl may for a check up, I need a tree doctor!

saveme
Newly Registered

Also, the tree has about seven branches and though the leaves are green all but one branch has places that have turned black. Should I cut them off? Then my tree will be really naked, I've already taken half the leaves, could it survive that? Help!

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

saveme,

A 'Hawaiian Bonsai' by way of Iraq now residing in MO. That tree has traveled more than most people. :wink: Seriously, a species name or at least a few pictures would be really helpful in our efforts to help you. Without an ID no specifics can be offered.

Black branches does not sound good and they will probably have to go but I am very reluctant to give advice 'sight unseen' If this is a tropical 'Hawaiian Bonsai' then it may be getting too cold for it outside soon, but again without a proper ID this is simply guess-work.

If the soil is that wet then you are going to have to let it dry out somehow, shelter if from any more storms and don't water it if it appears to be moist, check below the surface not just on top. Also describe the soil. Is it finely textured and peaty or coarse and gritty?

Here are some tips for taking and posting pictures here.
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3557

Norm

arboricola

Hi Saveme;

I believe you have an Hawaiian Umbrella (Arboricola ). A photo would be helpful..

First, stop watering. Mold and mushrooms are a sure sign of a too wet situation. The leaves and branches of this plant will turn black if overwatered...
Next, check the pot and make sure it has at least one drainage hole. If not you will have to repot.
Find a window that gives indirect light for the longest time.This plant does not care for direct sunlight and grows well with just indirect light.
This plant is from the tropics and does not like cold.
The plant can take a servere pruning, just hold the water. Check with a banboo skewer or your finger. If it comes out damp, wait another day and check again. You want the soil to be almost dry, but not pulling away from the pot edge. Water till it runs out the drain hole and don't let it sit in a puddle.
Keep it indoors and let it adjust to it's new position. As the days get shorter, it's growth will slow down.

Let us know how things are going and the best of luck..

Phil....

saveme
Newly Registered

Yes, it is a Hawaiian Umbrella Bonsai, oops. It is 70s and sunny today so I sat it on the porch cause I read that the Hawaiian Umbrella needs wind and direct sun light to survive...the position of my house doesn't allow direct sunlight into any window...I never noticed that. It wasn't from Iraq, he ordered it online, it was just a significant gift cause he was gone and it was pricey. I need to buy a book or something. I can try to upload a pic. The thing that confuses me is that the branches seem dead. I scratched a side of a blackening branch and it was brown inside, but the leaves are still green, drooping, but alive. Should I take off the branches and if need be the top half of the tree...it's pretty scragly looking. After the storm I put it in a tray with rocks and let it drain, but I still watered it, maybe it didn't need it, I drowned it, is it going to be okay? I took some ics, I'll work on getting them uploaded.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

saveme,
It wasn't from Iraq,
I did not really think it was, it was an attempt at humor.
The thing that confuses me is that the branches seem dead. I scratched a side of a blackening branch and it was brown inside, but the leaves are still green, drooping, but alive. Should I take off the branches and if need be the top half of the tree...it's pretty scragly looking.
As arboricola notes this plant can be pruned hard and it sounds as if it probably needs it.
After the storm I put it in a tray with rocks and let it drain,
Make sure that it is not possible for water to wick back up into the pot.

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”