Jeremy brua

SLUGS!!!!!!

How do I get rid of these things? I coverd the whole bed with eggshells and put salt all over the ground around my raised bed. Is there anything else I can do?

gardenvt
Green Thumb

Sluggo is fine for organic gardening. It is just iron and the slugs/snails are attracted to it.

Jeremy brua

So do I put it in the garden or away from it?

soil
Greener Thumb

ducks of course :D

gardenvt
Green Thumb

Just sprinkle a few of the granules (a dozen) near the plants - the slugs will leave the plant because they really like the iron in Sluggo.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

There are never simple, cut-and-dried answers in gardening, especially in organic gardening.

Double-especially when a product refuses to list a huge percent of its ingredients. Case in point: Sluggo. Only 1% of Sluggo (at maximum) consists of the much-touted iron phosphate, the active ingredient; 99% or so consists of undeclared "inert" ingredients. Given the behavior of many corporations these days, I am extremely reluctant to trust any of them when they say that "Our product X is organic, but we won't tell you 99% of what's in it." I say, "Have it your way; I'll keep my money and kill the slugs my own way."

Here are a few posts I've made here at the Helpful Gardener with deeper reasoning and back-up for that reasoning re. the 99% undeclared, "inert" ingredients as well as what may or may not constitute an "organic" additive for the garden:

[url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35569&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0]"Help Sweet Basil"[/url]--basil being destroyed by slugs/snails

[url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=176587#176587]Snail/slug pellets vs. veggie patch[/url]

[url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14010&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0]Let's start a slug count![/url] (includes the story of How I Became a Snail/Slug Hunter)

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

orgoveg
Green Thumb

You said that you put salt all over the soil? You don't want to do that again. Salt kills vegetation and it only kills slugs when it is poured liberally on top of them.

Cynthia - I am using Ortho ecosense slug and snail killer. I read the label and it was just as you described (same as Sluggo). I can't find anything that reveals the specific "other" ingredients but the label claims it to be "bait". The MSDS sheet lists no hazardous or toxic ingredients. Still, I wonder just as you do.

Jeremy brua

The salt was placed on the ground around my raised bed. And a little on the frame of it.

orgoveg
Green Thumb

Jeremy brua wrote:The salt was placed on the ground around my raised bed. And a little on the frame of it.
Ah - I see. You did word it that way if I had paid closer attention :)

Markolal

I have found it very effective to put a half full can of beer with the top removed in the garden. I am always surprised at how many slugs find there way in for a dip. I recommend Coors Light. Process has to be repeated and you want to change the can over frequently.

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

I put bowls of beer out and they I guess have a drinking problem because they crawl right in to the bowls and never leave! They are dead but they have a smile on thier face!

Flatlander_MB

Markolal wrote:I have found it very effective to put a half full can of beer with the top removed in the garden. I am always surprised at how many slugs find there way in for a dip. I recommend Coors Light. Process has to be repeated and you want to change the can over frequently.
:lol: I think I'd wind up catching my neighbor if I did that! :lol:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I keep trying it, with a cat food can (tuna can size/shape) buried to the rim and filled with beer. I never catch any, even though it is right next to the broccoli, which are being skeletonized by them. I guess my slugs are teetotalers! I put down diatomaceous earth which slows them down, but we've had so much rain, I can't keep up with renewing it.

I need to come out at night with the flashlight and do the hunting thing like cynthia!

applestar
Mod

This morning at 6am, I succumbed to temptation and counted as I picked them up -- over 50, maybe 60 big slugs plus a bonus cut worm in the bowl of soapy water. They go in the compost pile after they are good and dead. :twisted:

This early HUMAN got the slugs over grackles and robins. :wink:

orgoveg
Green Thumb

When I hunted for them at night, I got tired of the tedious method of trying to maneuver them with a stick so I started squishing them with my fingers. I just looked forward to washing my hands afterward. Then, I read about all the toxic bacteria contained in their slime. I never touched one again and I still think about that slime where they crawled all over my veggies :)

gardenvt
Green Thumb

It is true that they don't list the inert ingredients in Sluggo but it states that it is safe to use around domestic animals and up to and including the day of harvest.

I think if one has a serious infestation and might lose one or more crops, it bears consideration to use a product such as Sluggo. The garden center I purchased it is organic so I feel Ok using Sluggo when it is necessary.

After losing all of our squash and cucumbers last year, I fought off cucumber beetles that were cheerfully munching on the eggplant with Sevin (purchased at a chain store). That was the only time I used it and only after more than a month of trying many other deterrents. I don't recommend it - just saying.

I think most of us would like to be 100% organic 100% of the time. I live in Vermont - a state that is so into organic and localvore that I more than understand the need to keep our food and soil as clean as possible for us and future generations. It is why I garden.

Given a choice of losing all of my crop(s) and hard work (seedlings), I'll go local - and organic as much as possible.

mjtenkarian

I have heard that the beer should be placed outside of the garden so the slugs will head away from the plants. Anyone tried this?

mjtenkarian

Slugs are destroying my cranesbill geraniums! Anyone else having this problem?

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

I have slugs this year as well. I put the cup of beer sunk in the ground and I caught all sorts of other bugs. No slugs yet. I got a similar thing to Slugo and have to wait for the rain to stop long enough to use it !!

mjtenkarian

I think I am going to try putting a circle around my plants with builders sand and see how this works. Too late for my poor cranesbill for this year but maybe they will get enough of a repreive to get some new growth going. I really have tried to change out my plants with ones that slugs don't like too much so I can concentrate of treating the ones that I know they eat! I have a lot of hostas and have found that they do not bother the ones with heavy, very dark leaves. I guess they like the tender ones!

HonoluluGirl

This year I tried something new. I bought copper tape specifically made to repel slugs from Amazon. It looks like a roll of tape made of copper about 1 inch wide. I stuck the tape around several pots and flower boxes. One morning I watched a large slug try to climb up one of those pots, but every time it touched the tape, it pulled back. The copper gives them a shock. Kind of neat. But kind of expensive if you have many pots to cover.

mjtenkarian

Okay Honolulu Girl, I am going to try it. Anything to get rid of those slimmey critters! Thanks for the info.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

This info. was sent to Master Gardeners, but it may also be useful to farmers.

Slug & Snail Bait: Keep Out of Pets’ Reach!

Yes, even the Sluggo with iron phosphate. A recent review https://avmajournals.avma.org/doi/abs/10 ... 242.9.1244 of pet exposures reported to the National Pesticide Information Center (NPIC https://npic.orst.edu found 56 cases involving 61 dogs that showed signs compatible with iron toxicosis after being exposed to iron phosphate baits. Those signs include lethargy, vomiting and diarrhea. Most of the time, dogs had access to the area where baits were used or they got into products that were stored insecurely.

There was good news in the review https://avmajournals.avma.org/doi/abs/10 ... 242.9.1244 of pet exposures. Exposures to the other kind of slug & snail bait, metaldehyde, fell from 209 in 2005 to 21 in 2011, a tenfold decrease! Metaldehyde is more toxic to dogs than iron phosphate.

· Always read and follow the label directions, even when the product is considered natural, organic, or less toxic than other pesticides.

· Store pesticides where pets cannot gain access. We heard stories about pets opening cabinets, knocking packages off high shelves, and digging up buried bait pellets.

· don't create piles of bait.

· Pay attention to the amount applied. The labels are very specific.

Kaci Buhl, MS
Oregon State University

Eric

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Beer traps work, but are a frightful waste of good beer. :eek:

I kill the slimy buggers with a 50-50 mix of water and ammonia in a spray bottle. The little vermin melt in the most satisfying way when sprayed.

And no it doesn't hurt plants.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Just step back a minute there, toxic bacteria????

I am a squisher myself.

6sparkpug6
Cool Member

Regarding the bacteria: some latex (or non latex) disposable gloves would give a barrier between you and those slimy creatures.

I typically use diatomaceous earth (food grade) to get the slugs... But as mentioned before, after the rain or a watering not correctly aimed it doesn't work as well... Today I thoroughly spread it around the garden just to future out it wasn't done raining... :cry: so I guess I will have to redo it tomorrow.. But I did get at least 6 or so slugs with it when it was still dry.

We typically also have some beer out for the slugs. It usually attracts some. Last year it seemed to work better, however.

I will have to try the copper tape. I've heard of it before but have never gotten around to trying it.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”