bodean
Newly Registered

Help, my herb garden seems to be having issues!

We planted our herb garden on our porch about a month ago. Up until 2 days ago, it has been doing great, but the last 2 days, the herbs look wilted, and when I water it, seems the water runs through the soil very quickly, and exits out the drainage holes (seems to not be getting absorbed)

What is causing this, how do I save them?

Attached are some pictures

applestar
Mod

bodean wrote:when I water it, seems the water runs through the soil very quickly, and exits out the drainage holes (seems to not be getting absorbed)

What is causing this, how do I save them?
Very good observation on your part to notice that the water is coming out of drainage holes quicker than it should be. :)

This means that the soil had dried out in the container, shrinking and pulling away from the sides and leaving a gap. The water is not being absorbed by what is probably a peat-rich potting mix which repels water when dry, and the water you are pouring in is running down the gap and straight out.

You could keep pouring water in but you'll lose a lot just pouring out that way and that may not be ideal in a balcony situation --

You need to rehydrate the potting mix -- put the entire container in a larger tub to catch the water, keep adding until preferably at least 1/2 way up the sides, and let the water soak in from the bottom for 1/2 hr to 1 hr, then take it out of the tub let it drain.

bodean
Newly Registered

Ill soak in the bathtub with cold water for an hour or two. Thanks.
Should I water then once putting back on balcony?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Not right away, but you don't want to let the soil get so dried out the next time. The trouble is that your herbs like to dry out some in between and not to stay wet all the time. You might need to add in some sandier mix, like for cactuses, into your potting mix, which may be a bit too peat heavy for herbs.

imafan26
Mod

It also looks like your herb garden may also be over planted and the roots are competing for space which will also dry the pot out faster.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”