rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

the difference sunshine makes

I had garlic planted in the sunny front yard bed and the shadiest back yard bed. All planted from the same batch of garlic cloves saved from what I grew last year. The bulbs of the ones grown in sun are at least 50% bigger than the shady ones, even though the plants looked very similar and all looked healthy.

But the good news is you CAN grow garlic in pretty much shade!

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

Do you have pictures :)

My garlic is still growing like crazy. But it gets a ton of light :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Sorry, not doing pictures right now, but that would have made a good one.

Your season and timing would be different from mine, being so far north. As it was I left mine in the ground longer than I might have, trying to wait for a dry day to pull them. The plants were pretty totally dead by the time I dug them up. I planted these last Oct.

applestar
Mod

Sounds great! :D
I'm trying every bed around the house to see what works. Some have worked well, others not so much.
(don't so what I did -- do NOT plant garlic where plants planted in spring will TOTALLY obscure them and make it nearly impossible to see when to harvest them, let alone get to them :oops: )

One problem I ran into is that sunny and shady at mid to late October is NOT the same as during winter, spring or summer. It re-emphasizes the importance of making note of sun positions and shade-creating solid structures vs. ephemeral tree canopies, and how they affect amount of sun in garden beds throughout the year.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes, once the leaves were starting to fall, that backyard bed was much sunnier than it is now.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Interesting, but I'm wondering about the other differences.

Shade cooler soil / Sun warmer soil
Type of soil and amendments in the two locations
Water, Sun more rain / Shade less rain
Diseases, Any Rust in either location

Eric

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You are right that more sun and warmer soil seem to be confounded variables that would be difficult to separate out.

Otherwise I don't think there are many differences in soil, rain (the plot is shaded from sun, but not from rain), diseases (all the plants looked quite healthy).

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”