pastrycheffowler

grapes for southern california

I'm looking at adding grapes to my garden and was wondering if anyone know of any sweet grapes that would grow great in southern california where it can get to be 100F on any given day

JONA878
Greener Thumb

Try this one.
It's a Californian Red Ruby Seedless.
We were given the vine over twenty years ago and it's been a tremendous cropper everty year.

pastrycheffowler

Sweet thanks. Those look great

pastrycheffowler

just got a californian ruby from a nursery, its about 3 feet tall. any advice on taking care of this plant?

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

I wish ;)

I am going to try to grow some up here in Alberta in 2014 ;)

webmaster
Site Admin

Take a look at what kind of grapes do well in your area, or close to your area. Cool evenings and warm days work well for grapes, particularly when there's a breeze coming from miles away, originating from the Ocean. The kind of ground you have is said to play a part as well. Grapes are grown a short drive north and south of your location. Take note of the kinds of grapes said to be best for your area.

The Perrin Wine company found the area around Paso Robles to be amenable for Rhone related grapes. But there are all kinds of varieties being grown in that area, except sparkling wines afaik.

JONA878
Greener Thumb

pastrycheffowler wrote:just got a californian ruby from a nursery, its about 3 feet tall. any advice on taking care of this plant?
As you can see from my photo..I grow my vine under glass as over here we do not get a long enough summer to get the grapes to ripen in the open air.
I have found this var to be very vigorous in its growth so I grow it as just a single main leader with cropping side shoots coming from this leader. It seems to crop very readily so I stop each side shoot two leaves beyond the forming bunch.
Under glass it is inclined to over set in the bunch which then need hand thinning....I suspect though that in your much better climate this would not be required.
I regularly remove a couple of barrow loads of excess growth each summer pre-ripening ...just shows how strong they grow.

Return to “Grapes - How to Grow Grapes”