benali

Is Cut Grass Ok as Mulch Around Trees?

I wondered if anyone here has experience using cut grass as a mulch around their trees. I searched around the web and was surpised that it seemed to be controversial. I have a lot of cut grass on hand and would like to mix it with some pine needles (for aeration and to prevent matting) and use it for tree mulch. I should add that I've never applied any pesticide, weedicide, or fertilizer to my grass, so it has no additives that might hurt the trees. Thank you for any feedback.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

If using straight lawn clippings then some caution might be exercised, as the grass can get overly wet and begin to putrefy. When mixed with adequate browns, such as pine needles, the clippings should not get overly saturated and should behave pretty much like a cold compost pile, where the materials slowly break down to provide nutrition for the soil. I would just caution that you should used adequate browns, and maybe lift the mulch in places from time to time, to make sure that it is slightly damp, but not water logged and slimy.

benali

Thank you both for the excellent advice.

Cheers!

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”