skiingjeff
Green Thumb

Re: What is your 2013 garden looking like?

Here are the picture of our garden as it stands now. :)

This one is our two smaller raised beds which have lavender, oregano, thyme, basil in the lower bed and the upper bed will eventually all be broccoli. I placed planters of marigolds around the outside of the beds to add beauty and help with pest control.
ImageUploaded with ImageShack.us

This one shows our summer squash with the pepper plants to their right. In between the squash and peppers will be our cukes on a trellis once they get going.

This one is the summer squash with the parsley and the asparagus patch to its left. We are trying a new grating for our squash to hold them up off the ground somewhat but let them spread out naturally. We'll see how this works.

This last one shows our carrot and radish patch with some rows ready to plant green and yellow beans in. The plastic is on a row of beans we just planted to keep the squirrels from eating the seeds. :( You can see the first row of beans that just sprouted in that last week on the far right. There are cauliflower and kohlrabi along the fencing to the left of the carrot/radish patch.

This hard to see but the entire garden is bordered by marigolds for beauty and pest control.

This is a picture of one of the seedling shelves we have in our basement.

We also have lights suspended from the ceiling so I can put plants on a table when the get too big for the shelves but don't have a picture of that to share :(

It's nice to see what everyone has done and get some great ideas!

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Lots of nice looking gardens coming along. Great photos by the way. Hope your dog is not like our lab. I think that she and the deer have an arrangement, as they come in and graze when ever they like.

Most everything is in the garden for me now, but a string of fresh tomato plants will be kept in the ready. Also, arugula, green beans, cucumbers, squash, and zucchini will be succession planted over the summer and into the fall.

pow wow

I don't have a veggie plot anymore. had to make room for the trailer but here is what I have going. I do have an onion plot but no picture.

My carrots, snow peas and peppers in my veggie trug

jemsister

Wow, you guys have such awesome setups! Makes me a little jealous to be honest. :mrgreen:

These pics are a bit old, so the tomato and zuke are bigger, and the peas are much fuller.

Here is the tomato setup I have. It's growing in an old dresser turned raised bed. I don't know if it technically counts as a raised bed, since it's on the patio. I'm not allowed to dig out a garden in our lawn. It's a rental and the land lord said no.

Anyway, I have a fake white wall behind the tomato. It's recommended in our area because it doesn't get all that hot, so tomatoes have trouble ripening here.

The two totes on either side of the dresser haven't been planted yet. I'm going to put summer squash in them.

I'm growing zucchini in a bag. A friend of mine recommended it because her mother does the same thing and has great success with it. So far so good!

Sugar snaps in the flower bed. I planted them a touch late, so I hope we get a decent crop before they die off from the warming temps. It worked last year to plant them this late because we had a really cool June, but I'm not sure how it will pan out this year. Next year I'm going to attempt to plant them a month sooner. They're only just now blooming. But if they don't produce much, at least they made a pretty vine wall on our patio step! ;)

More peas against the house (the narrow part of the flower bed stretches all around the house). They aren't doing as well as the ones that have more circulation. I think because it's slightly hotter with them growing right up against the wall.

The mounds are where I placed potato traps for wire worms. I don't have a ton, but at the beginning of the season I was catching quite a few. I haven't seen more than one or two in the last week though.

Not sure if you can see them very well in the pic above, but I also planted green beans in front of the peas that are against the house. Not sure what's going on with them. They haven't been growing very fast. The soil needs some love. Next year I'm going to try to feed the soil and till it better than I did.

So yeah. That's my humble "garden." :D I'm actually pretty excited about it. We aren't a big family, so much bigger would really probably be too much, unless I maybe grew some lettuce or something. We have a nice shady spot that might work for that. But I'll have to save it for next year, this is getting too expensive. LOL!

RogueRose
Green Thumb

Finally got some good pics today.

Some of my peas are getting "crispy" like applestars though you can't really see in this picture. Oh and this is funny - the ones on the left are in miracle grow, the ones on the right are in an organic potting soil. The ones on the right get more sun, the ones on the left get less sun - the sun moves from left to right. as the day progresses.

A little view of most of the garden.

This lettuce is awesome. It's red sail. I just keep eating the outer leaves and it keeps coming back. It has lasted me forever - just two heads!

My favorite lettuce. This is my last one.

My monster fig tree that came with the property. It is anywhere from 60-80yrs old. In the ground. Doesn't get covered. To the right of it are some apple branches for context.

Some tomato patch and fig tree in the background

Root veggies

Cherries

Roma

Orange Cherries - Hanging Basket (which I was skeptical of but it is doing very well as long as its watered and fertilized)

Corn (there's more behind me but that was already shaded). Garlic in the right

Potatoes

Strawberry Harvest

Finally! Blueberries

Cola82
Green Thumb

Most of the surrounding plants are flowers the boyfriend's mother gave me. You can really see the overhang on my patio here--I have no idea what to call it. It's not an awning, technically.

And yes, I know that hummingbird feeder is in a ridiculous spot. The boyfriend insisted.

applestar
Mod

Have they found it? Once they realize it's there, they're fearless enough to come right up to the window, I think. You may need to draw them in closer to the patio with red decorative items, hanging pots and planters of favorite flowers, etc.

Another way is to put the feeder more out in the open and then move it closer to the window every few days.

Cola82
Green Thumb

We got a fuchsia and a hanging pot, but it hasn't blossomed yet. I'm hoping that will work. We've definitely seen them flit through the yard a couple times, but they haven't spotted it.

I had wanted to hang more on the edge of the overhang, but if all we have to do is alert them to its presence, I think we can do that. :)

jemsister

Cola, not sure this is right, but I would call that under-the-roof area and alcove. :mrgreen:

I grew up in Oregon! Love it there. It's my favorite. Spent a lot of my childhood in Sweet Home.

Cola82
Green Thumb

Ah, my dad used to live in Sweet Home! There's a really cool covered bridge there. This is a pretty great state, but I am pretty biased. :D

jemsister

Yep, one of my friends got married on that bridge. :) Very pretty. That town looks a lot different than it did in my day! The lake is far more developed, for example. Loved swimming there! It's a hot day today, I wish I was there to take a dip right now. :mrgreen: Washington is similar, but it's just not the same. *sigh* :wink:

TravisD
Newly Registered

If it doesn't look like much, that's cause it's really not :> . I figured I'd start small this year and if I'm successful at all I've got plenty of room to expand next year. This is only about a 10ft X 20ft area, but I crammed a lot of stuff in there.

imafan26
Mod

Now that I have netted my new big dwarf tomatoes to keep the birds out, I am finally getting the tomatoes to ripen.

I just added compost to one small section of my garden and replanted rakkyo, basil and pak choy.

The zucchini has blossoms but no zucchini yet.

I planted another cucumber after the slugs ate the other three. This one has hung around for three days so may be the slugs have moved. I also did some major weeding and slug baiting in the area.

The corn silks are starting to brown and by my calculation they should be ready around June 23, 10 days after the first tassels appeared. Can't wait for corn on the cob!

For summertime, it has been raining off an on for the last few days. Not enough that I don't have to water and it is keeping my rain barrel full, but the weeds are also coming on like gangbusters. I need to sharpen my tools. Somehow, I misplaced my saw, this is the second time this year I lost it.

I just harvested the last of the lettuce, I gave it to the worms they were starting to put up flower stalks and I am continuing to transplant out my seedlings. I am running out of space for them all. My neighbor gave me three lettuce plants in pots today that are ready to eat. I guess I am having salad tonight.

I have the usual aphids on the gardenia and perpetual scale on the roses, but the glads are blooming and falling over.

OH yeah BTW to all the fathers out there HAPPY FATHER"S DAY!

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

https://youtu.be/4mB30YGw1JY

take a look at my garden. I did a video tour when I saw this post the other day!~ let me know what you think!

jemsister

The peas are taller than me! This makes them almost six feet tall.

And the tomato has made a major comeback after suffering severe frost damage in early May. It went from a little 6 inch stick with two tiny leaves, to this.

And the zucchini is huge and getting huger by the day!

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

My tiny garden is doing better than I had expected. Was picking 9 zucchini per week slowed down to 4, picked about 50 tomatoes this week, picked a mess of green beans yesterday, been keeping the bell peppers picked off every day for Italian foods. 3 kinds of melons are getting larger and looking good, the honey due looks ripe, several stripe melons are 30 lbs getting close to ripe, 15 cantaloupes are not ripe yet maybe 2 more weeks, corn is 9 ft tall ears are giant and getting larger. Citrus tree has green lemons the size of ping pong balls, both peach trees have small green peaches, plum tree no plums, apple tree no apples, blackberry and raspberry plants no berries, nectarine tree 1 small green one, no grapes on the vines. Wow I miss my 40x80 Tennessee garden but I don't miss the 300 days of rain each years, 100% humidity, thunder storms, mosquito's, tornados, grass mowing, allergy sickness. It 109 degrees here in AZ and it feels nice compared to sticky icky humid mold infested TN.

I cheated with the photos. I uploaded photos to a dummy Craigslist AD then copy and paste to here.

Last edited by Gary350 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:18 pm, edited 8 times in total.

jemsister

Melon!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Lots of lettuce

Getting a drink

jemsister

Boy, you've got plenty of room to stretch. :D And what an amazing view!

chubwolf

this is my first year witha garden. It's in the front yard, (thats where the sun is) I hope the neighbours don't mind,
if nothing else it will engourage me to be tidier than I otherwise would be.
the closest bed is some grape toms and sweet 100's, there are some other unidentified tomatoes in the bed too. behind that to the left is zuchini (black beauty and lebanese) and to the right strawberries and a cayenne tree, and the last bed has 2 yellow squash 2 ichiban eggplant and another random tomato plant. there are some beans spread about too.
Attachments
front yard.jpg

chubwolf

june 20 13.jpg
here are some more.

should I try to trim the cayenne bush? If so what does anybody recomend? just cut the bottom leaves and brabches off? Thank you.
sam
Attachments
zuchinni june 20 13.jpg
Strawberries june 20 13.jpg

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Photo: June 26, 2013

Things are starting to look pretty good. Still planting some things........ beets, chard, carrots.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Things are finally coming along in Utah's high country! Looking great!

We are now in the heat of summer here in central S.C. and many tomato plants are showing significant signs of disease. Hopefully various strategies will allow us to keep continuous production for the entire May-November period. Is already looking like the results will be better than last year, when we had about a 3-4 week break with no tomatoes coming off of the vines.

This is another very successful gardening summer with a steady stream of our favorite veggies including tomatoes, cucumbers, egg plant, jalapeno and sweet peppers, zucchini, yellow squash, green beans, arugula. Lots of earlier produce but that is gone with the heat. I've got a volunteer cantaloupe vine that is growing like crazy and has at least 3-4 softball sized melons. Okra is just starting to produce. Corn harvest was meager this year, but still worth the effort. Only provided 6-8 meals however. Interesting, but most of the stalks didn't produce ears, otherwise were tall and healthy looking. Garlic produced a nice crop but bulb formation was inconsistent, some very large and others so small that they will just be put back in the ground in the fall.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Potatoes

I just got them hilled up. Growing weather today, 95 degrees and sunny.

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

Here is my new one it has come a long way since this was taken a few weeks ago.
I pulled a couple handfuls of these carrots to give some room to the peppers I am really looking forward to picking the rest this fall.

Smallgardener

Frankly my garden looks like junk. I have replanted my melons and zucs and they are small and way behind. The green beans are slow and the wind keeps beating them up. The sweet corn is uneven. However there is a bright spot. My tomatoes look good and the cooler weather should let them pollinate and set fruit. That is something that has not happened for 2 years in late June.

Roseamore
Cool Member

Hi Guys,

I've only been gardening for 2 and a half months now but I thought that I would share my container-step-garden with you. There is not much available soil/space around the house that's why almost all of my plants are in containers on my steps.

I currently have Greek basil, Lemon basil, Oregano, thyme (seedlings), marjoram (seedlings), Sweet basil, Spearmint, Peppermint, and Roma tomatoes. I'm currently trying to germinate sweet peppers seeds.

It is not much but I'm happy and proud of it :D .

Roseamore
Attachments
The top step just outside of my kitchen door.
The top step just outside of my kitchen door.
My garden 1.jpg (51.56 KiB) Viewed 1431 times
There are multiple plants on almost every step (not all can be seen); my husband thinks we will soon be unable to get down the steps :)
There are multiple plants on almost every step (not all can be seen); my husband thinks we will soon be unable to get down the steps :)
My garden 2.jpg (57.79 KiB) Viewed 1431 times
Two of my four Malabars which I've trained onto the enclosure around my backyard.
Two of my four Malabars which I've trained onto the enclosure around my backyard.
Two of my Malabars.jpg (47.46 KiB) Viewed 1431 times

applestar
Mod

You have both red stemmed and regular malabar spinach? I have the red and it freely reseeded from last year. I have heard red is better flavored... Is that true? It is certainly a very pretty plant through the entire season.

Roseamore
Cool Member

Hi Applestar,

I've actually never eaten the red stemmed one; waiting for it to get really bushy before I start to harvest. I regularly eat the green stemmed one because my neighbor has it in abundance.

When I start eating the red stemmed one I'll let you know how they compare.

Roseamore

freedhardwoods

Lots of good looking gardens.

Here's some of my green beans just coming up and before they started blooming.

4 wide rows of Jade variety. They produce so good planted like this that you pull out handfulls at a time when picking.
WIDE ROW EARLY.jpg
WIDE ROW EARLY.jpg (44.65 KiB) Viewed 1416 times
Attachments
WIDE ROW.jpg
WIDE ROW.jpg (55.66 KiB) Viewed 1416 times

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

I have a short video after a huge storm we had yesterday. not too much was lost but it gives a quick feel for what my 2013 garden looks like as of this morning.

I should have done the video blog entry yesterday before the storm but it was like 107F (I think ;) ) and I had a hard enough time being in the shade!

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

photos of this year's progress - between thunder-boomers . . . .

corn - somebody mentioned, knee high by 4th of July - check. put the plot next to the wall - hopefully providing shelter against the wind blowing it all flat - so far so good....

peas - two varieties. on the left Super Sugar Snap (64day)
back and to the right Dark Seeded Early Perfection (65d)
the Super Sugar Snap grew far too tall for the 48" trellis, flopped over, lost 70-90% of the stems to bending / kinking. not a candidate for next year. the Dark Seeded Early Perfection grows 36-40 inches - just right for my set up.

tomatoes going boom-boom . . . nothing red yet.

a late potato volunteer still in bloom, slightly past prime

a grocery store basil, set out in the garden - smells great!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

OK, just a shot of the lay of the land where I garden. My plot is on the edge of town near the mountain.

joed2323

Wow you guys have some wonderful gardens, you all should be proud, all that hard work in the spring prepping our gardens makes it so worthwhile when we get to stand back and admire our gardens this time of the year...

Jal_ut unbelievable view, I'm so jealous of your land. I would have a hard enough time getting any work done by staring off in the distance and looking at all the amazing views you have...

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

you touch on something I have been thinking about for awhile. no mater how much work and love I put into my garden there always seems to be more! I cant imagine how much more work goes into larger plots!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Here is my insanity. :hehe:

joed2323

gardening is addicting, its a healthy addiction, ive traded in my bad addictions in the past and this is my hobby that calms my nerves, and soothes the soul. I can be stressed out and pissed off, come home from work and take a stroll thru the garden, even picking weeds, makes me happy.

Every year, my garden expands, more and more, this may sound silly, but I want my shot at being a farmer, except I only want to grow vegetables, and work the farmers markets, and maybe sell to local resturants if I'm lucky. Looking at the supermarkets and seeing how much $ bell peppers, and the colored bell peppers are, makes a person wonder if you could make some extra bucks at growing vegetables.

I know farming doesnt make you rich, but as long as you can make ends meet and pay the bills, id be happy turning my backyard into something I could make some money off of, instead of spending 2 hours cutting grass

Sorry if this is off topic

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

Oh how the rain has done its job!

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

Dix and Ohio nice gardens !!! Joed I know how you feel! I love it as well. I don't have much of a garden but its mine and its good for the soul!!

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

Well I did a garden update video today ! We have some good bad and ugly but overall still ok :)

https://youtube.com/watch?v=dcHZU5mIBN0

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”