RamonaGS
Green Thumb

Resuscitated Roses! They LIVE!!! LOL!

Last October, I moved in with my partner, into his house in Solvang, CA. Beautiful property, but many many sadly neglected plants hanging on by a thread to their existence. So I chose to try and save them, after all they were planted here by his grandma. So I have been working on them, with fertilizer and regular water. Singing them lullabies, reading them inspirational poetry, performing native american dances, casting voodoo spells...ok those last four I was making up, but you get the idea, LOL!

So here are what they look like after many months of fussing over them.
Attachments
Close up of one of the prettiest and most shapely roses.
Close up of one of the prettiest and most shapely roses.
recovery rose 2.jpg (39.64 KiB) Viewed 2047 times
Another shot of the biggest rose bush.
Another shot of the biggest rose bush.
recovery roses 2.jpg (55.72 KiB) Viewed 2047 times
This is the fullest and biggest of the rose bushes.
This is the fullest and biggest of the rose bushes.
recovery roses 1.jpg (57.16 KiB) Viewed 2047 times

RamonaGS
Green Thumb

This one almost died because of MY fault! Sven bought this mini rose for me for Valentine's Day, and as many of you know, these store bought flowers need to be repotted right away. So I repotted it, and used soil my brother gave me, but he didn't tell me it had fertilizer already in it. I added more fertilizer, plus rooting hormone, and almost killed the poor little thing. I finally realized what happened, so began flushing the soil as best I could, and tried to just keep it from dying, and finally yesterday I saw this pretty blossom on it! YAY! It forgave me for being stupid!!
Attachments
Sven's rose.jpg
Sven's rose.jpg (45.81 KiB) Viewed 2046 times

RamonaGS
Green Thumb

I forgot this pretty one too! DUH! LOL!
Attachments
orange rose.jpg
orange rose.jpg (36.89 KiB) Viewed 2045 times

applestar
Mod

Gorgeous roses! I know it takes a lot of work to keep them.
Good job! :D

I gave up on them after switching to totally organic methods, but I may slowly re-introduce disease resistant cultivars. I only have one left that has continued to live, grow, and bloom despite my neglect.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Now that you know they're alive :D , you'll want to read Sunset's advice on pruning roses so that you'll be ready when the roses are. One way to give rose bushes a fighting chance against common diseases (I see black spot in one of the photos) is to increase air circulation in each bush, and proper pruning will do this.

The roses can also be "dead-headed" as each flower begins to fail: cut back to a five-leaf branch on the same stem as the rose bloom itself. This way, if you have roses that bloom multiple times per season, the plant's energy can keep going into rose production rather than into rose-hip production (unless you specifically want the rose hips for jam or another purpose). If you have one-time bloomers, it'll keep the plants from looking "tired." The rose hips are the equivalent of seed pods, but propagation of roses is usually accomplished by stem cuttings and grafting.

I'm happy for you that the plants have bloomed! They're obviously happy, too. Well done! :clap:

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

RamonaGS
Green Thumb

Thanks ladies, I'm happy with them, but admit I don't know much about proper pruning. I only have cut them back from the driveway so they don't scratch the cars, lol! I know they need pruning to thrive. So I'm going to look into that now :D

New Girl

Wow, these roses are so pretty!

RamonaGS
Green Thumb

New Girl wrote:Wow, these roses are so pretty!
Well thank you, I am so happy I could bring them back to life. I love roses because they remind me of my grandmothers, because they both loved growing them, and my grandmas are both gone now. I'm excited and happy to have them around. :D

Return to “Rose Forum”