PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Fig tree growing in flower bed - getting too big

Hi,

I had a volunteer fig tree pop up early this year in my front flower bed. I was planning on ripping it out but never got around to it. I have been too busy and lazy to bother with it and now it is about 6 foot and getting wide. Problem now is that it sticks halfway out into our walkway and it really is just a tiny spot not really deep enough for this tree long term. So I can either rip it out or transplant it. I think I'd rather transplant it but don't know the best way. Should I wait until winter while it is dormant? Or could I transplant now? Are they the very delicate type that if you are a little rough they will die?

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

imafan26
Mod

I'd take it out since you are also near the house meter. The roots of figs do spread. the bigger it gets the harder it will be to get rid of.

applestar
Mod

Oh, well... I was going to say why not train it as an espaliere?

I doubt that they are "delicate" when it comes to being dug up when dormant since around here, with even more hardy varieties, you have to "mummy" them -- I.e. wrap them up really well, or "coffin" them -- sever the roots on one side and tilt them into wooden board/panel lined trench then bury in mulch -- to get them through the winter when planted outside.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Should I transplant now or wait until it is dormant?

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

waiting for dormancy would probably be best for the tree, but applestar's right, they're tough, and would probably survive just fine if you want the space sooner.

RamonaGS
Green Thumb

I would love a fig tree, but you have to protect your property too, and that tree is right up against your house, and meter. Sadly, even if it killed the tree, I would try and move it before it goes dormant, and hope for the best. Especially if the roots spread as much as everyone else said they do.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

RamonaGS wrote:I would love a fig tree, but you have to protect your property too, and that tree is right up against your house, and meter. Sadly, even if it killed the tree, I would try and move it before it goes dormant, and hope for the best. Especially if the roots spread as much as everyone else said they do.

They do spread a good bit. My fig tree was already well established when I bought the house I'm currently living in 22 years ago. The roots spread a good 5 ft. around the base of the tree and pretty similar to an oak as they protrude above the ground in spots. You really don't want something like that next to your foundation, sidewalk, or that close to the water service and gas meter.

Like others have mentioned, they can take a good bit of abuse and still survive.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Move it as soon as possible. The summer in SoCal will only get hotter, and the roots of the tree will only get bigger.

It's in almost the worst location it could have chosen. The responders above have given good reasons why it's a poor location.

We know the location's a bad one; the tree doesn't. Move it now into a nice container (or, if you have an in-ground location, move it there) with yummy planting medium. Figs can become absolutely huge, and they can also be multi-trunked. They aren't a classic single-leader tree. The one at my MIL's house had over 10 trunks and would-be trunks before I took a pruning saw to it in January 2007. I left it with four or five, the number it still has.

Move it. Move it now. This weekend would be a good time.... But prepare its new location before removing the fig from its current location.

Good luck! :)

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

JONA878
Greener Thumb

I would add only one thing further.
Because you will be moving it in its growing season, I would prune it quite hard as well. this would ease plants water loss as less leaf would mean less transpiration and allow the roots more time to recover.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Thanks for the tips everyone I am going to take care of it in the next few days.

Return to “All Other Fruit”