miadude99999
Newly Registered

Spaghetti squash - when to harvest them

Hello I'm new :D
I got several spaghetti squashes in my garden that are big (almost 8 inches in diameter) and they are either light green or green with white stripes on them. They have been that color for the last one month or so. Can I pick them now or should I wait until they are yellow? Does the color affect the flavour of the veggie? I want to pick them before it gets too cold at night around here (mid-late Sept). Thank you for any tips/suggestions!

UncleDave

I absolutely love spaghetti squash. I haven't had one in so long. Thank you for reminding me! I'm sorry I don't know the exact answer to your question, but I can ask my father-in-law, he will know.

Grey
Greener Thumb

Well, I've never grown that kind of squash before but usually once the fruit is about the size you want, and doesn't look immature anymore, I pick it. A month is likely too long to wait, and it may be like zucchini or eggplant where if you let them get too big they lose a lot of flavor.

Hard to say - just pick one, cut into it, and see what you think!

lillgardnr

I had the same question this year. I found that as they grow they slowly change yellow. as they change their stem becomes drier. when the stem can snap, and not bend is when the squash is ready to be picked. so far all of mine have been all sizes, so you cant judge by size....but if they are still green, or white...id say just let them stay a while longer.... :D
[img][img]https://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t285/nabes1/squash.jpg[/img]
this one wasnt quite ready it took about a week or two after the photo was taken for it to turn yellow[/img]

UncleDave

That is an excellent sized squash. That should make for a good meal.

Grey
Greener Thumb

More than ONE meal, Uncle Dave!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”