lily51
Greener Thumb

Need Dwarf or small tree ideas

This topic could go here or in landscaping, so if it needs moved, let me know
Anyhow, I am looking for an idea for a small tree for part of my perennial bed. To the east of it are a "hedge of large round arborvitae and Miss Kim lilacs and an ornamental tree that is about 15' tall. The garden curves around heading south and goes in front of the vegetable garden. I'd like something that only gets 5-6' or so, not a huge canopy, either/and pretty in spring and attractive foilage.
There are a lot of round shapes near it, so something more angular would be nice. Behind the vegetable garden are 5 tall, slender arborvitae and 3 small crabapple trees. Probably not an evergreen, but a deciduous tree would work best.

Thanks in advance for your input.

applestar
Mod

This might not be what you are looking for, and it's possible only reason I thought of it is that *I*ve been wanting it for the third year now and haven't gotten round to getting it.... Also, since I haven't got it yet, I have no personal experience with it -- but how about Northstar pie cherry tree? It's a natural dwarf around 6' and self pollinating.

Another idea -- I have a Trifoliate orange "Flying Dragon" ...SERIOUSLY spikey curved thorns, very dark green. Eventually will fruit little sour/bitter oranges. Also a natural dwarf approx 6' tall at maturity.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You definitely want a tree, not a shrub? There are lots of beautiful flowering shrubs in that size range; it's very restrictive for trees. I think there are some dwarf crabapples that stay that small and dwarf japanese maples, which would be the attractive foliage.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Quince or witch hazel might fill your bill if you can tolerate a bush vs a tree.

lily51
Greener Thumb

Thanks for input. I just had a tree in my mind since there are so many shrubs nearby, plus would give a more open look.
I've looked up your suggestions, probably will have to see them all "in person".it'll be a good reason to spend half a day browsing through plants' :)

applestar
Mod

"not a huge canopy" so may not fit the bill, but another idea is to grow a tree form of wisteria.
-- that's another one on my back burner project list. I want to try growing one with a native wisteria... Current candidate is 'Amethyst Falls' 8)

WildcatNurseryman

'Shaina', 'Sharp's Pygmy', 'Mikawa Yatsubusa' Japanese Maple and 'Carnival' Hedge Maple interest you. Also a dwarf conifer such as Chamaecyparis or juniper on a medium to low standard might work as well. I have or have had all the maples and am very fond of them all. 'Sharp's Pygmy' may be too round for you, and the Hedge maple may get too large, but it would take it a VERY long time and 10' x 10' may even be okay, especially with a bit of training/pruning.

WildcatNurseryman

Applestar, I have the Amethyst Falls Wisteria and I have been extremely happy with it. It blooms ABUNTANTLY and from a very young age. Good choice in my opinion.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”