applestar
Mod

CAULIFLOWERS -- should these be harvested?

First time semi-successfully growing cauliflower. :D
These heads are small but looking like they're starting to unravel... But some florets look kind of underdeveloped :?
Are they bursting from the excessive rain or are they pushing apart because they are getting ready to bloom and should be harvested?

(1)

(2)

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Good for you. I haven't had a lot of luck with cauliflower. Dad used to tie the leaves over the head to blanch it. I think it is somewhat like broccoli as far as when to harvest. You want to get it before the individual buds get too large and start to open up. It should gain a bit more weight if left a bit longer. Of course you can eat it any time. You decide.

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

when the little florets/heads start separating, it's time.....

I've noticed that happens when the heat / warm weather starts to set in - not sure if it's cause or effect, but they usually decline rapidly once the head starts separating.

applestar
Mod

Thanks for your replies :D
It's so hard to decide whether to pick or wait :lol:

I kind of want to go harvest #2 now, but we had two torrential downpours march through this morning -- I was out there, too, trying to get the Spiral Tomato garden planted :shock: Now the path to the cauliflower bed is under 3" of water and I'm not really up to fighting with the soaking wet insect netting over the brassicas, so I guess I'll wait another day.... :|

applestar
Mod

Sometimes, it's OK to be indecisive :D

Today, they look like this:

(1)

(2)

For once I'm growing a hybrid variety called Snow Crown. They're "self blanching" and, in fact, is a pain to inspect and to take photos of, because the leaves keep trying to curl over and cover the developing florets. I found another one heading today after much effort to wade through the leaves without tering them or breaking the leaf stems. :-()

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”