alisoncruden
Newly Registered

Help identifying a weed?

Hi,
This is popping up all over our garden and we have no idea as to what it is. Any help in identifying it would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Attachments
SAM_0791.JPG
SAM_0786.JPG
SAM_0786.JPG (18.28 KiB) Viewed 600 times

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

I don't know what plants are in your area but look for plants (even trees) in the neighbours gardens and further afield for the source. You should be able to find where seeds come from either they are brought on the wind, which is what it sounds like if the plants are spread out evenly across your garden, or by birds. You could also bring the seeds in yourself if you have recently purchased compost or, the worst, manure.

I find that knowing the source usually helps identify the plants especially if I can find the large plant with the same leaves because then I can use the growth form, flowers, etc.

alisoncruden
Newly Registered

Hi evtubbergh,
Thanks for your reply. This appears to be all over the place here it pops up everywhere and seems to be in most of the neighbours gardens as well. I would have taken pictures of it actually growing in the garden to give a better idea of what it might be but my other half sprayed it with weed killer and its all dying away. I suppose my main concern is that someone said it was Japanese Knotweed and we really don't want that but after researching on the internet I'm not convinced that it is JK. It was growing here when we moved in so its not anything I have used in the garden that has caused this but our garden was/is really over grown and I'm trying to get it back in shape.

purpleinopp
Green Thumb

Showing a pic of the whole plant might help.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

it's not japanese knotweed...

MarcP

I'm sure it's not this, but the little you're showing reminds me of the top portion of Commelina communis.

purpleinopp
Green Thumb

C. communis has alternate leaves. Maybe an Eupatorium but didn't see any with the same vein pattern in the leaves. If it doesn't die from the weed killer & curious persists, let it make a flower. That would help with ID.

Return to “Plant Identification”