Scrappy Coco
Cool Member

How long does it take for lettuce seeds to sprout?

Well the title speaks for itself, how long does it take for lettuce / chard / kale seeds to sprout? I'm also wondering, can I just put the seeds straight in the garden (in compost) and not in cups at first?

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

>>how long

depends on soil temperature and moisture conditions.

Israel, soil temp, check
moisture?

I only direct seed lettuces, I do not have the patience to transplant so much little stuff....
basically 5-10 days

Scrappy Coco
Cool Member

Well that gave me a general idea of how long it is supposed to take for the lettuce seeds to sprout, thanks! :)

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Lettuce prefers a soil temperature in the mid to upper 60's (around 20 degrees C) and should germinate in a week to ten days. Be sure to keep the soil constantly moist during this period. If temperatures have gotten higher and you still want to try some lettuce, consider using shade cloth or plant in a morning sun only location.

I direct seed all of these as well.
Last edited by hendi_alex on Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

If you haven't grown chard before, here is a tip. Each of the 'seeds' is not really a seed. Each of the 'seeds' is really a cluster of up to six or eight seeds. So be sure to space the clusters about a foot apart, and you will still have to thin when the seeds germinate. I just lift and space the small plants when they get their first true leaves. Very few ever die from this thinning, transplant process.

*Getting sloppy with my proofing. Had to make a couple of edits to make the sentences make sense.
Last edited by hendi_alex on Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Scrappy Coco
Cool Member

Thank you Alex. :)

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

I have the best luck with lettuce indoors at around 75 degrees and generally speaking it sprouts for me in about 2 or 3 days. After that though, it does like it cool or at least shaded. I should also mention, this is for Black Seeded Simpson lettuce. Different varieties have different requirements.

The chard and kale are different beasts. Kale usually takes close to 2 weeks for me, and chard, well, I've not had much luck with. But Alex left a helpful note so I may be able to use that to my advantage next time. I'm betting I didn't keep the "seeds" moist for long enough to get through that tough pod. Maybe I'll try breaking it open next time!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”