mattie g
Green Thumb

Harvest Time!

I'll be using this as a log for my harvesting this year. So, the first harvest of this season...even if it is kind of a "secondary" harvest:

Scapes!
MusicScapes.JPG
MusicScapes.JPG (28.41 KiB) Viewed 1749 times
I've actually never used scapes before, but some may go on pizza tonight, and some made into pesto.

Likely next up to be harvested...the first planting of carrots and possibly some peas!

vinyl217

Nice. I've not used scapes before but I imagine they're similar to garlic chives? I've got Music garlic going as well, love it :D

mattie g
Green Thumb

vinyl217 wrote:Nice. I've not used scapes before but I imagine they're similar to garlic chives? I've got Music garlic going as well, love it :D
I had a little nibble of raw scape last night - it was an interesting experience. It had a mild garlic, grassy flavor, but there was a kick of heat about five seconds in which faded away after about ten seconds. I will say, though, that I had a slight garlicky taste in my mouth this morning!

I can see why chefs like scapes - they seem like the kind of ingredient that mellows out and becomes delicious once slightly cooked. I think they're going to be delicious sauteed for a short bit and then used as a topping for a homemade pizza!

Good luck with your Music, too! I had to pull two of my plants in the last couple weeks because of some root rot (hoping it's just nematodes and not white rot). I have a ton of Incheclium Red growing in a different section of the garden, so I'll hopefully be rolling in garlic in the next month or so! :cool:

vinyl217

Nice! I almost tried the Inchelium Red but opted for Chesnok Red. I have several other varieties going as well...garlic lovers unite!!! :mrgreen:

RogueRose
Green Thumb

My scapes haven't come up yet this year :( I hope they come up soon.

mattie g
Green Thumb

RogueRose wrote:My scapes haven't come up yet this year :( I hope they come up soon.
That sucks. Hope they come up soon, RR.

We used some of the scapes on pizza last week - absolutely sweome. That said, I'd *glady* trade my scapes for the root rot that has forced me to pull five or six of my Musics so far. After that, I've got about 10-12 plants left. Such big, strong plants, too! Urgh. Luckily, I have Inchelium Red that is doing really well in another part of the garden.

On another note, I did pluck the earliest/largest pea pod the other day to see if it was ready. I've never grown peas, so I needed to give it a check. It was still a little young, so I left everything on there. The oldest pods should be coming off today or tomorrow, and the rest will be harvested over the next week or so.

mattie g
Green Thumb

I've been harvesting a handful of pea pods per day for the last week or so, and I still have some more to come. I'm pretty excited that the plants have held on this long!

And today I finally harvested my shallots. I'm *really* pleased at how these have turned out. They did develop scapes a month or so ago, so they'll probably have to be used fairly soon, but I don't mind that too much. I'm just impressed I was able to get a harvest like this for my first time growing them!

In the picture below, I put a quarter on one of the shallots near the left side. There are a few monsters in there.
Attachments
Purple goodness!
Purple goodness!
image.jpg (67.62 KiB) Viewed 1702 times

ruggr10
Green Thumb

We looooooove to use our scapes in lots of ways. Just some baby scapes on the garlic right now. My fav use is as a topping for homemade pizza.

mattie g
Green Thumb

After some hemming and hawing, I pulled my Inchelium Red today. No real complaints about this harvest!
image.jpg
image.jpg (53.01 KiB) Viewed 1674 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (55.42 KiB) Viewed 1674 times

RogueRose
Green Thumb

I've been hemming and hawing about pulling mine up. They're starting to look real dry despite the rain we're getting. Some are starting to flop.....hmmmmm

mattie g
Green Thumb

RogueRose wrote:I've been hemming and hawing about pulling mine up. They're starting to look real dry despite the rain we're getting. Some are starting to flop.....hmmmmm
Mine were almost flat on the ground, RR. They had been trampled a couple weeks ago, but I decided to leave them in for the time being. Now with all the rain we've been getting and are forecast to get, and the fact that they laid down like they did, I decided to take my chances in pulling them yesterday. I have fairly heavy soil that was probably as dry as it'll be for the next 7-10 days, so I took my opportunity.

They're now sitting in my shed with a fan blowing. I figure the fan will help them dry out a bit more quickly, what wuth all the humidity around here recently.

RogueRose
Green Thumb

I went ahead and did mine too today. The stalks were looking real weak. I couldn't help it. They looked about ready too. Pictures in my 2013 album below.

Just curious - is it better to dry bulb up or bulb down?

mattie g
Green Thumb

They look great, RR!

I'm not an expert by any stretch, but from what I've read, it seems best to dry them bulb down. I have mine hanging from a run of fishing line - I tied the tops of the greens around the line and let them hang from there.

mattie g
Green Thumb

My Music came out two days ago - at least the stuff that was left after what I think we're onion maggots got to them. Nice bulbs...upwards of 2" in diameter.

And I pulled my Superstar link s this morning. Not bad for my first real go at growing onions. I didn't really fertilize at all (other than a couple waterings with compost tea), and I probably planted a little close together. But to do that and end up with some the size of baseballs (most are tennis-ball-sized)...I'm quite pleased with myself!
image.jpg
image.jpg (46.78 KiB) Viewed 1585 times

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”