gmp
Cool Member

gloxinia going to dormancy

Hi, my gloxinia is going to dormancy. today it has shed the last leaf. I took it out and saw the bulb, it was a big one and put it in another pot, as I had to water the another gloxinia in the same pot(started it from leaf). Should I leave the bulb uncovered in the soil? some roots are still intact. The soil in the pot is not completely dry. Now I am afraid of the bulb getting rotten, some insects disturbing the bulb as the soil is still moist. What should I do now?

Thanks in advance.

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

leave the bulb in the pot.

water only to keep it from "bone dry"

too much water = rotting over the dormant period
too little water = death over the dormant period.

pick up the pots regularly - get a 'feel' for moist / wet / dry / bone dry.

yes, you're right, "some experience required" - I would give my dormant pots a glancing blow with the water wand when the pot was super light weight. one excursion into "bone dry" is not going to kill them. repeated long term bone dry, yeah - that'll result in glox death.

gmp
Cool Member

Thanks a lot Dillbert, I will try my best, as I mentioned earlier, I took it out, the bulb was a little deep in the soil, but when I transferred it into another container, I just put it not so deep, I could see some parts of the bulb on the top. Another problem is I will be away from my home for the next 20 days. How can I protect it? My neighbour has given me a helping hand by watering, when I am away. But she knows nothing about plants, so I have asked her to moist the soil. I cannot expect more than that from her. Too much confused. don't know what to do?

But I don't want to loose that.

thanks in advance.

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

a lot depends on the ambient conditions where you are keeping the corms.

if the humidity is ultra-low, they'll need more attention, for example.

couple ideas - set up a shallow tray, "put water in up to here, put the pot in, count to five, remove pot" - works only if the pots have holes in the bottom....

or a hand pump spray/mister - spray the top every third day . . .

gmp
Cool Member

I lost the bulb. When I came back from my trip, all I could see is just a mess. Luckily I took two leaves before the plant died and that took off. I don't know if it would bloom nicely. Must wait and see.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”