lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Man Vs Rabbit

Last year the rabbits won the battle of the okra. They ate most of my plants and limited my production. This year I am trying to win.
Man Vs Rabbit

Man Vs Hydranghea
I also have a huge hydranghea plant that is shading some tomatoes. The tomato plants say, How about a little room here.!

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

I would like to put bait out for the rabbits at the Nevada place but we worry that our dog will eat dead critters and become secondary target.

imafan26
Mod

Are you winning?

webmaster
Site Admin

That's probably more humane than a King Kong Kat. Outdoor cats can cause problems in the local ecosystem. Which is one of the reasons I keep mine indoors.

My neighbor has one of those King Kong Kats though. He goes by the name of Abner. There's nothing Lil' about him, either. Abner stays out all night. This is a neighborhood where it's not unheard of for small dogs to get carried away by foxes and coyotes. I'm hoping he's going to keep the rabbits honest.

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

>>Are you winning?

looking at the closed end hooped wire,,,,

if he's losing I do not want to meet that rabbit in a dark alley . . .

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

imafan26 wrote:Are you winning?
I had just put the wire down when I took the picture. I thought I saw some evidence of nibblin' so decided it was time. Also, I had some peppers and tomatoes in flats, waiting for a spot in the garden, and they became a salad for some creature.

We really LIKE okra, so this is serious!

valley
Greener Thumb

You have to fence them out, shock them away or kill them sum a ma guns.

joed2323

I wouldnt even think of having a garden where I live without having a fence!

Their is just way to many deer and other wildlife that would love to raid my garden

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

joed2323 wrote:I wouldnt even think of having a garden where I live without having a fence!

Their is just way to many deer and other wildlife that would love to raid my garden
I have a fence to keep the deer out, but would be difficult to stop up the access points for smaller creatures.

valley
Greener Thumb

you can stop them with an electric fence charger.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

lakngulf wrote:
joed2323 wrote:I wouldnt even think of having a garden where I live without having a fence!

I have a fence to keep the deer out, but would be difficult to stop up the access points for smaller creatures.

I am with joed, I have deer fence with chicken wire around the bottom, where the gte opens I extended the chicken wire to over lap the opening.
The rabbits can dig under the wire yu have set up.

valley
Greener Thumb

But rabbits are can be kept at bay with electric zapper wire placed in their way.

We were down at the lower place. The electric fence was down, a very large snake had been snapped by the fence, had wrapped around the wire and caused a dead short, he was very dead. We catch the garden snakes and drive them way out into nowhere to turn them loose. They are good to have around, for the rodents, except they eat eggs.

Richard

watermelonpunch

Oh yeah, I have a fence around the vegetable garden in total. It's the only option for any kind of protection.

We have at least 3-4 neighborhood cats, one lives right next door... and my yard is always still filled with bunnies!! Including the yards between me & my neighbor with the cat!!

But we have, and let, *gasp* clover grow in the lawn... and I think that's the siege cover for my flowerbeds from the bunnies. They don't seem to eat my unprotected flowers that people say bunnies like to eat. And I'm assuming it's because we have tons of clover in the lawn in some places. And that's almost always where I see the bunnies sitting - where the clover is most obvious.

Oh... my step-father always apparently planted onions or something in that family, on the outside of vegetables...
He also planted dandelions around tulips.
And had several other strategies of planting bunny-unliked plants around bunny-liked plants.
My mother said this was pretty effective in a lot of front yards they had over the years. (And they lived in 7 or 8 different states over the years.)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”