floraAdore

Companion planting

I adore shitakusa / kuasomono. The right choice of flora in the right pot can magic! Other than looking at photos though, I know nothing! Anyone grow companion plants? What techniques & species work for YOU?

My mother has 5-6 different types of small (2" & under) Wildflowers - blues, purples, whites & yellow. I think their size will be suitable for this kind of application. I love the deep color of clematis occidentalis aka mountain clematis/ virginia bower. theyre so delicate looking!! I've found the site uswildflowers.com very helpful. Great descriptions of flowers, their petals, leaves & tendencies. Also you can search by flower color making identification easy.

I don't really have any trees worth complimenting currently but, I enjoy thinking of display ideas!!

tomc
Super Green Thumb

I have this nasty habbit of collecting scraggly ugly duckling shrubs.

That upland blueberry, the huckleberry (or witch hazel) no one will buy at the agway.

They seem to collect an english violet or six along the way. Most of the smaller alliums don't fare well in shallow pots. :(

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

floraAdore,

I have played around with miniature Iris a little. I looked for pics but could not find any.

Norm

floraAdore

Thanks for trying Norm!!
I'm attending some demos at the International BonsáI Colloquiuim in June but , can't make it the day they're doing kusamono workshop :(
I just ordered a book from stone lantern; Willi Benz on suseki, kusamono & display. It arrived at moms yesterday. I can't wait to grab it (some would literally grab it if I let it be shipped to my apt!)

Mini iris sounds lovely!! The flowers behind my mothers, at 1st I thought they could've been planted by the last occupying tenant (mom bought house 12yrs ago ) but, after checking w/ the US wildflower base they are wild! I'd like to Try & tame them!!! It's all moss in that area of the yard, no grass but, IMHO lovely as grass. Maybe even better!!
If that book covers species I shall let u know. It had good reviews & some others more knowledgable growers concurred.
;) have a great day!!! :P

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”