RogueRose
Green Thumb

3 different Corn varieties to plant - which first?

Ok soooo I'm an English/Philosophy major and I have always started to sort of twitch/seizure whenever I see numbers. I would like to plant three different varieties of corn. I am thinking of planting them 2-3 weeks apart. Now, me being completely mathematically inept, can't figure out which one to plant first. So....

Peruvian Corn: 92 days
Triplesweet Bi Color: 82 Days
Luscious Hybrid: 75 days

Trying a Peruvian from different folks this time...last year NOTHING of mine grew well. Thinking since it was such a freakishly hot 'wtf' summer nothing grew right - even my bicolor last year corn didn't come in right last year. So I am hoping since this year is progressing more or less 'normally' that I will get a normal crop.

Anyway, do I plant the shortest maturing first or last? Obviously I want to prevent cross pollination, but I also don't want to run out of time either.

joed2323

Do you know somebody who grew these varieties? Why do you want to grow these varieties?

Also how big is your plot? growing 3 varieties will take up a decent amount of space, especially if you grow it in 3 or more rows to ensure good pollination, but of course you should still help it by hand pollinating it yourself, you cant always trust the wind...

Last year, did you only grow a few stalks? The reason I ask is because I looked at your garden pics and in that one picture I only seen maybe a dozen corn stalks, maybe it was just the way the picture looks?

On a personal note, ive grown bodacious which is a (se) type sweet corn, and its yellow in color.

I also grew ambrosia(75 day), named for its great taste which I will be growing again this year, its also (se) and its a bi-color.

I picked up another variety called Serendipity(82 day), its a sh2+Se variety, one of the triplesweet varieties that combines the best of both the sh2 and se varieties. I plan on growing a few rows of this one as well since ive heard great reviews on this sweet corn...

Ambrosia is hands down the best sweet corn ive tried and grown myself... A few other members on here grow this variety as well and like it alot.

RogueRose
Green Thumb

My plot is small. And completely fails and goes against and breaks every law of corn growing ever written. The year before (2011) I was very successful and actually grew more corn than I could eat and ended up giving a lot away. I grew bicolor sweet, silver queen and a hybrid red sweet (which actually was not that sweet, but it grew and was successful). Last year (2012) I did bicolor sweet a friend sent me and the peruvian (I vacationed in Peru and ever since then I been trying to get that corn). The bicolor sweet came in okay - not as prolific as 2011 but it still came in. The Peruvian came in and grew 24ft tall - it was insane - but what happened is that the pollen and ears were completely timed wrong which makes me think it was the freakish weather. The Peruvian corn really is a crapshoot since it is usually grown in the Andes mountains and New Jersey is not the Andes mountains, but I will continue to try! In the meantime I DID find a restaraunt that DOES have the Peruvian corn - SO I can go there and eat it. :D

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Plant them all the same day!

Now.

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

I agree. The plants time themselves out perfectly...plant them all at once and you'll have fresh corn over a 4 or 5 week period....

RogueRose
Green Thumb

Okeedokee! as I was typing I did notice they kind of all were spaced 10 days apart or so. I wonder if I planed that? :shock: I will plant tomorrow!

SOB
Green Thumb

Is there a chance that different varieties of corn with different number of days to maturity can tassel at the same time even though they are planted at the same time? For example, your 92 day and 82 day corn are planted the same day and sprout at the same time but does that necessarily mean that one is going to tassel 10 days after the other?

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”