MysticTrev
Newly Registered

Wind Pushed Down Corn - Will it Recover or Plant More?

I live in the state of Pennsylvania and the other day we had some pretty strong winds that knocked down some newly planted seedlings of corn. They are about 6 inches high (when standing). My question is will they stand back up or do I need to hurry up and plant more? :?:

Thanks In Advance! :mrgreen:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

They won't stand themselves back up, but you can stand them up. Stand them up and pack/ hill up dirt around the roots to hold them until they get rooted in a bit better and they should be fine.

A common occurrence, since corn is tall and shallow rooted.

MysticTrev
Newly Registered

will do! Thank You!

SOB
Green Thumb

We have had corn blow over and start growing upright again on its own. It looked pretty weird because the stalk makes a 90 degree curve but things progressed just fine.

joed2323

Yes, stand them back up and hill them continuously throughout the season. More so when they get taller...
What variety are you growing?? Seems odd that they blew over only being 6inches tall..mine blew over at 5+ feet tall.

MysticTrev
Newly Registered

Well, I started fixing them by piling up dirt. Gonna take me awhile seeings how we have planted over 100+ seedlings of corn alone. I'm thinking if it might just be easier to get out my shovel and dig up the pods and simply plant the pods deeper so the covered hole dirt holds them up better. :?:

MysticTrev
Newly Registered

joed2323 wrote:Yes, stand them back up and hill them continuously throughout the season. More so when they get taller...
What variety are you growing?? Seems odd that they blew over only being 6inches tall..mine blew over at 5+ feet tall.
We have about 3 different types. Sweet Corn, Honey Sweet, and forgive me I cant remember the last type.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

What rainbowgardener said is what I do. They will be fine.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Google "Lodging corn".

When they're little, they should recover.

joed2323

last year I actually planted my seeds in a gully sort of, I raked the dirt onto my walkways between my corn so throughout the season I could easily rake more dirt onto my stalks to hill up my corn as needed, this way worked alot easier for me, I will do the same this growing season...

100 corn stalks isnt alot, this can easily be done in a evening or whenever, just think of the harvest, this is minor work for what good things you receive in the end...

Just prepare so next time you get another strong wind storm your ready to stand them back up, once they get tall, if you have your corn fenced in, in which you should you can run string between the corn stalks to prevent them from falling over.. Their is many ways to protect your corn and once my corn comes up I protect it with my life :-()

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”