medic302
Newly Registered

asparagus question

hello all, I'm new to the forum and to vegtable gardening. my question is, how long does it take for newly planted asparagus growns to sprout? I prepped the site by digging in about 3 inches of composted manure, a little lime and some greensand. I planted jersey knight and they are planted about 4" deep. a hare shallow from what I've read. they've been in the ground a week now, but we've had the last few days of cold rainy weather.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I don't know much about asparagus, but it takes time for any thing to grow, should be in a week or 2 or 3.
I have been thinking of planting some my self, so I will read up on it.

Do deer or rabbits eat it?

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

you planted "crowns"? - a root mass?

one can buy 2 or 3 year old crowns.

it takes time for asparagus to get established -

using 2 year old crowns,
plant, do not harvest anything for 2 years
3rd year you can take the early stalks; leave the later stalks grow & fern out

if you start with three year old crowns, you can lightly harvest the second year.

it is essential to let the later spears grow into the fern-ie foliage - that's the bit that feeds the roots & makes the plant grow / stronger.

traditionally they would be planted a bit deeper, manure at the bottom, etc.

basically it takes 5 years (starting with 2 yr crowns - or 4 yrs with 3 yr crowns) to get a patch going for harvest - regardless you cannot harvest every spear that comes up or you'll kill the roots.

on the upside, once established an asparagus patch will produce for many years - as in 10+

medic302
Newly Registered

yes I planted crowns, a root mass. thanks for the information, I don't know if deer/rabbits will eat it either, I assume that rabbits will, darn things eat everything else.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Lets presume you planted them right side up. Its been cold and rainy, I'd be patient for another week and then peek 'just to be sure' they were indeed planted right side up.

imafan26
Mod

Asparagus crowns I have planted before are up usually within 2 weeks. If not check to make sure the crowns are not rotting. One year old crowns actually acclimate better then older crowns.

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

>> I don't know if deer/rabbits will eat it either, I assume that rabbits will, darn things eat everything else.

oh yes. most any critter will be happy to relieve you of the harvesting problem.....

treehopper

My patch is going on 30+ years and still producing just fine every year. I recall reading how it should be replaced every 15 years or so...haven't seen the need so far. I always wondered how the plants would naturally bury themselves 12 inches or so deep. I let mine go to seed, leave the ferns to winter over, then burn off the patch early in the spring. Make sure you plant twice as much as you think you'll need-you can thank me later. Oh, deer and rabbits will not bother your patch at all. Asparagus beetles, on the other hand, will give you trouble.

medic302
Newly Registered

I guess I planted them right side up, the roots were pointed down so I just spread them out on a hill of compost in the hole. :?:

applestar
Mod

I have Purple Passion asparagus in a open (unfenced) area. It's one of the only sandy and sunny areas and the rabbits like to hide in the patch and even made a "cooling off" half hole (they lay in it bely flt to the ground) nearby, but they haven't eaten any of the shoots nor dug up the asparagus.

Smallgardener

Where are you at? How warm has it been.
My crop grew up about 2 weeks ago and then got froze back in 20 degree weather. Yesterday it was 20 when I woke up and today it was 29. Crops are all way behind schedule and corn planting has just begun about 2 weeks late.

I would just give it time. It seems like all transplanted asparagus takes a while to come up.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

how long does it take for newly planted asparagus growns to sprout?
Hi new member. Welcome to the forum. You might want to put your location in your siggy. It helps us to advise you if we know where you are and what kind of climate you garden in. Edit your profile.

Now to your question: It will depend a lot on how warm it has been. I think it will take 2 to 3 weeks. Don't give up hope just yet.

medic302
Newly Registered

thank you, I will update my profile. I live in eastern IA.

medic302
Newly Registered

success! at least partially, I just got home from a hunting trip to find 4 asparagus spears about 10" tall standing very proudly in the middle of the asparagus bed. I planted 12 total, so it looks like 8 didn't come up. should I replant them or wait a bit?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Be patient! They will likely all come.

Hey, I just got my first few shoots to eat yesterday. They were sure good. It is worth the wait. You won't be cutting them this year. Just let them fern out.

medic302
Newly Registered

thank you sir, I will be patient.

medic302
Newly Registered

well 9 out the 12 I planted came up no problems. one more question though, a few of them look kinda wimpy, by that I mean thin, but they are ferning out ok. is that normal for first year plants?

tomc
Super Green Thumb

medic302 wrote: one more question though, a few of them look kinda wimpy, by that I mean thin, but they are ferning out ok. is that normal for first year plants?
If you manure and mulch your asparagus spring and fall, this too shall pass.

Little piggies asparagus be.

medic302
Newly Registered

okay, I was planning on putting about 2inches of compost over the whole bed this weekend, then grass clippings over that. is that a good start?

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”