Beginner1019
Newly Registered

Cantaloupe, Cherry tomatoes, watermelon, and corn

Hello I am a beginner gardener and I am growing cherry tomatoes, cantaloupe, watermelon, and kandy corn. I planted everything besides the corn on April 6th and the corn on April 16th. I have posted pics because I am worried that they are too leggy or they might be just young I'm not sure that's why I made this post :) I have them in a south facing window and I let the window up a few hours out of the day so they can adapt to wind. I also put a 120w grow light on them at night for a few hours. Do they look ok? Or is there something I might be doing wrong.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

They are a bit leggy. Get them out into the sunshine any time possible. Shield them from the wind and only gradually move them to a full sun location. They should do fine, but the sooner that they get into some full sunlight, the stronger and stockier they will be. If 65 or warmer they should be fine. Cooler and perhaps you will want to use or improvise some kind of cold frame. Under about 55 degrees and IMO it is too cold to be outside.

Beginner1019
Newly Registered

Ok I will prepare and build my garden today. I will get more corn and plant all of them outside. Ok is the 120w bulb ok? I don't want to burn the seedlings the first day I put the grow light on them one of the watermelon seedlings wilted. And how much longer should I keep the tomatoes, cantalope , and watermelon indoors?

Beginner1019
Newly Registered

We are having alot of rain here in Atlanta this week and lows about 47 degrees. So is that too much for the seedlings to handle? How do I build a cold frame?

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

A cold frame can be anything from a clear sweater box or other clear container to a consumer product such as a juwel coldframe. You can construct the sides out of most anything, bales of straw, bricks, lumber and then place some repurposed glass like out of a storm door over the surface.

After the night time lows hit 45 degrees or warmer and the day time highs are 65 or warmer, I leave my plants outside both day and night. At first they are enclosed in two Juwel cold frames, but after they outgrow the cold frame, they continue to stay outside, until planted in the garden.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”