hilltom
Newly Registered

Too much water to start?

In the past three days I have started 144 seeds in two separate 72 cell starting kits I got from the dollar store. I used the dollar store brand starting medium in one that has mostly flowers, and in the other I used organic starting mix from wal mart. This is my first time starting from seeds and maybe my fourth year really gardening. The kit said use "plenty of water." But after looking online I feel like I may have given the seeds to much water to start.

I am wondering what I should to remedy the soil if it is too wet? a fan, heat, take off the lid? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. thanks everyone and best wishes to your sprouts.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

The almost-universal wisdom from seed starters on this forum is to take off the lid. New seedlings which are subjected to too much dampness can be killed by a fungus called "damping off."

For further information, please read the four-page (and counting...) Sticky at the top of the Seed Starting forum; maybe there's additional advice that will be useful to your seed-starting work. :)

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

hilltom
Newly Registered

Thanks much. I will browse around.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”