Tigger-02
Newly Registered

Help in indentification of my New Bonsai-(Jasmine)

Hi everybody,
As you do, I've gone and bought myself a bonsai and reading up on them I've discovered I don't even know which one I have.
I think this may be important as I believe the care differs for each species so I'm hoping somebody on this forum would be able to help me identify it?
Some pics below

[img]https://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i205/Tigger-7/DSCN1503.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i205/Tigger-7/DSCN1502.jpg[/img]

Many Thanks

Tigger

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Tigger,

Hi, and welcome. Try this.
[img]https://toptropicals.com/pics/garden/06/4/4990.jpg[/img]
How does that look? It is a Serissa. Look for more examples on google and let us know how it compares to your tree.

If you have water in that container ensure that it cannot wick into the pot. If you put some gravel in the bottom you can put more water, still not allowing it to migrate into the bonsai pot, and this is a humidity tray.

Norm

Tigger-02
Newly Registered

Hi Gnome,

Thanks for the welcome and reply.
I did a google for it and from a few pics, it looked like a Serissa but none of the pics I found had 3 leaves on each shoot so it confused me.
Obviously there are different versions but this was the closest I could find so with your confirmation I'll go with that.

so do you think it's the "Foetida" variety I.e. Tree of a thousand Stars as it doesn't look like it will flower :D

BTW: Thanks for the tip on the tray, I just copied how they had it in the garden centre but maybe they had it wrong too. I'll put some gravel in it and raise it above the water level.

Many Thanks

Tigger

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Tigger,
Thanks for the welcome and reply.
You're welcome, and please come back often.
so with your confirmation I'll go with that.
Sorry if I gave the wrong impression, when I wrote "How does that look? It is a Serissa." I meant that the picture I posted was a Serissa not that yours definitely is. Long distance ID's can be difficult and I am not familiar with many species as there are so many used for bonsai.
it looked like a Serissa but none of the pics I found had 3 leaves on each shoot so it confused me.
Honestly, I did not notice that at first. :?:
so do you think it's the "Foetida"
You can verify this by snapping a small twig and checking for an unpleasant aroma. This is where the name came from.
I just copied how they had it in the garden centre but maybe they had it wrong too.
Sometimes people water like this but it is not the best method to use. Even then the tree should not sit in water for prolonged periods. Have you read the sticky threads at the top of the page? Follow the links as well. They will answer many of the questions you may have.

Norm

constantstaticx3
Green Thumb

Your tree is a type of Jasmine. You can see it here. https://www.meehansminiatures.com/shop/index.php?action=item&id=70&prevaction=category&previd=1&prevstart=0
if it gets yellow flowers than it is a Jasmine Grandiflorum. I have a small one too and it gets three leaves on each shoot like yours.

Tom

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Tom,

Thanks for the ID. These are really fragrant when in flower, is that correct? Meehans was at a local show last summer and I think they had some of these in flower.

Norm

constantstaticx3
Green Thumb

Yea they are very fragrant. I bought mine at the Philadelphia Flower Show from Meehans. I believe they can be pruned back very hard to keep in shape.

I haven't done anything to mine and don't plan on it its just a small specimen plant right now.

Tigger, it looks as though you could really chop this one back on the trunk and wire up a new leader.

Tom

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”